Thursday, March 10, 2011

Waking Up in the Land of Glitter

My work in progress might fall under the genre of "crafty lit" - a term coined by artist and author Kathy Cano-Murillo. In such books, the main character does something with her hands, whether it is quilting, knitting, cooking or scrapbooking; How To Make An American Quilt, The Friday Night Knitting Club, even White Oleander falls into this category. The heroine in my story works in a bead shop and designs jewelry. Kathy Cano-Murillo's debut novel, Waking Up in the Land of Glitter, revolves around three women who do crafts.

Much of the story takes place at La Pachanga, a hip Mexican eatery and art gallery in Phoenix, Arizona, owned by Estrella "Star" Esteban's family. Talented and hardworking but irresponsible and flighty, Star makes a foolish decision that brings a blight on the establishment, straining her relationship with her parents and causing her beloved boyfriend to leave her. To atone, she volunteers to make centerpieces for a national craft competition. Assisted by a couple of unlikely companions - her best friend, Ofelia, whose attempts at crafts are an abomination, and a local television celebrity who is known for her craft ability but secretly hates crafts - Star attempts to follow through on a promise for the first time in her life while learning the true meaning of family, friendship and love.

The beautiful front cover , which literally sparkles with glitter, drew me in, and I stayed hooked all the way to the very last page of this well-written tale. The multi-talented Kathy Cano-Murillo has taken her love of art and crafts and woven it throughout her story in such a way that it almost becomes a separate character. If glitter speaks to you, if you enjoy making things with your hands, if you love strong female characters, if you appreciate a good love story - you will love this book.

Leave a comment at the conclusion of this blog post before midnight Saturday to be entered in a drawing to win a $10 Amazon gift certificate - so you can buy yourself a copy of Waking Up in the Land of Glitter or Kathy's latest release, Miss Scarlet's School of Patternless Sewing. More on that next week; be sure to come back so you don't miss out!

8 comments:

Corrie said...

I hate glitter but I love books about crafts. :) I love to scrapbook and especially enjoy when I am scrapbooking with others! I think I would enjoy this book.

Pam said...

Corrie, I enjoy scrapbooking, too, although I am afraid I have been more successful acquiring supplies than doing pages! If you love books about crafts, I know you would enjoy this one. It is lighthearted and fun. Thanks for your comment; good luck in the drawing!

Julee J. Adams said...

Sounds like a fun read! Thanks for the suggestion. My heroine is a cross-stitcher like me, too. It's not only the "write what you know," it gives us the opportunity to add a little in the story. (i.e., impresses the hero, she moves her current project in her bag to cover up what she doesn't want him to see, etc.) Besides, won't that make all craft purchases tax deductible as research? BTW, I sent you a bag o' beads today--before I read about your contest, so it's not a bribe!

Pam said...

Julee, you make some very good points! And a bag o'beads...hmm...I am intrigued... Thanks for your comments!

Pamela Mason said...

Isn't it wonderful how something just grabs and inspires us? Like glitter and beads and colors and foods....

Glitter is like fairy dust, which, with upcoming prom season, will be back in Atlanta's limos again. Took 2 weeks to get it all out of my own car upholstery.

That sounds like a great book to look up.

Have a grreat weekend! Fingers Crossed!

TheWaldos said...

Both the blog and this author are new to me! Thanks for adding a glimmer of fun to my world.

Color me amazed to find both on such an otherwise dreary day.

Now, where did I put my glue stick...

--JC

Pam said...

Pamela, glad you were finally able to get the glitter out of the upholstery in your car. Although I thought it was kind of pretty. ;-) Lindy and I made it to Jacksonville, safe and sound. Keep those fingers crossed; our pitch appointments are at 11:20 and 11:30 tomorrow. :-)

Pam said...

JC, I am so glad you discovered my blog; I know you will enjoy Kathy's book. And I hope you found that glue stick. ;-)