Wednesday, March 30, 2011

What's On My Mind

Me with my dog, Karma. Good Karma. Good Karma.

1. LAVENDER

My friend Lindy posted a recipe for Feel Better Butter on her blog today; it calls for "culinary lavender." Until I read this post, I didn't know there was such a thing. I mean, I love the scent of lavender; I have even grown lavender and dried the buds and used them to sew dream pillows for my friends. But I had no idea that people actually EAT lavender. Well, I did some research and found recipes for lavender jelly, lavender hazelnut bread, and lavender tea cookies. Now I must get some culinary lavender and try my hand at making all these lovely things.

2. SPRING CLEANING

My friend Sherri posted pictures of her hobby room on her blog today; I think it is beautiful. Even though I am so busy teaching piano and writing a novel that I barely have time to work on my hobbies - beading and sewing and knitting and scrapbooking - I wish I had an entire room to dedicate to them. But since I don't, I am considering making over my piano studio during spring break and dedicating a corner to my hobbies. And painting the walls purple.

3. LOVE

One of my friends just reconnected with the love of her life after twenty-seven years apart. Another friend is pursuing a divorce from her husband of many years after discovering a secret affair. Yet another friend is riding the roller coaster of an unwanted separation from a husband who can't decide whether to stay or to go.

Men.

'Tis not love's going hurt my days but that it went in little ways.
~ Emily Dickinson

On May 23, I will "celebrate" the tenth anniversary of my divorce. I have been in a handful of serious relationships since then, but my official status remains "single." And that's okay, because there are a few things I know for sure.

If I had remained in my marriage, I wouldn't be the person I am today.
If I had remained in any of the relationships post-divorce, I would not be writing a novel.
I have loved and lost so many times it is tempting to become cynical.
Despite this, I believe in "happily ever after."

I have Karma, children who love me, girlfriends that rock, jobs I love, and hobbies I enjoy. I have a roof over my head, food to eat, and a car to drive - that is, when Casey doesn't need it. ;-)

A woman could do worse, right?

23 comments:

M.D. Christie said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I'm so glad that you stumbled by!
XO
M.D.

Pam Asberry said...

Me, too! And thank you for visiting mine! :-)

AllMyPosts said...

I am happy for you dear!! When I read about the anniversary, I felt a little bad!!

But happy that you live happily .. ever after as you call!! Keep smiling!!

with warm regards
http://becomingprince.blogspot.com

EEV said...

Seems to me you're doing great! Keeping faith in ourselves is the best way to overcome difficulties, and being surrounded by loved ones and activities we enjoy are certainly a plus!
All best wishes to you :)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Abhishek! I wouldn't have guessed that I would still be single ten years post-divorce, but I think I am right where I am supposed to be - with a big smile on my face most of the time! Thank you for your encouragement!

S.M. Carrière said...

Sometimes it can get very difficult to see light. It feels as if we're stumbling through a dark tunnel with no end in sight! It is so important to stop and remember all that we have to be thankful for.

So lovely to see you are!

Pam Asberry said...

That's a great analogy, S.M. I try to maintain a glass-half-full attitude. It really helps on a tough day! Thank you for your comment.

Nichole Chase said...

Your optimism is contagious! Great blog :)

Nichole

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Nichole! I try to keep it positive. I hope you will visit often!

Pam Asberry said...

You are so right, Eev, and I loved your post on keeping faith in ourselves. Good karma your way, too! ;-)

SAIDFRAZ said...

you know what I think? I think you should do away with the sitting room for your piano students/parents and claim that space for your room! How many actually use it? Those that do could just sit in your living room like we did when "those people" invaded your home. You deserve your own designated space!

Pam Asberry said...

I have thought about that, Sherri. But you would be surprised how many people use the waiting room. And my kids (and Karma) really need the privacy it affords them. Because once they come up those stairs, people make themselves right at home; they consider nothing (except the bedrooms, with closed doors) off limits. For the boys' sake, I think I am going to have to content myself with making better use of the space in the piano studio. It is the biggest room in the house...

SAIDFRAZ said...

I hear ya about the privacy thing. It amazes me how some people know no boundaries. You could just make 'em sit on the stairs but I guess that wouldn't be so good for business, huh? You don't always have to have an entire room to get the space you need. For my first "scrap room" I commandeered my breakfast nook. I separated it from the kitchen with a freestanding cabinet. I'll never forget the look on the face of the cable guy when he made a house call. He thought it was strange but pretty inventive. Go with your original plan and claim your space in your studio ... just make sure your students know it's off limits. Some of them may be way to inquisitive ;)

Pam Asberry said...

I may put up a screen or something to separate the space; I haven't figured it all out yet. I may be sorry I started this project by the middle of next week! But by then it will be too late to turn back. Of course, I will post pictures right here! You inspire me, Sherri!

Temperance Black said...

Hi, I'm a new follower. Please stop by my blog and follow me in return. :c)
http://temperanceblack.blogspot.com/

Julee J. Adams said...

She is a good Karma!

Know you are exactly where you should be. You're strong, smart and talented, so that puts you miles ahead of most people.

I got the closet in the office for my crafting supplies, plus three bookcases, so life is good. Still moving stuff from the basement, but getting it organized. Novel concept to be able to find stuff relatively quickly. I think you need to treat yourself to a can of paint, a screen and a special little corner for you.

Enjoy!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, thanks for the encouragement. I am ready to GO FOR IT!! :-)

Megan said...

Okay, I've now read several of your posts and this is my favorite (they're all fab, frankly!). I am signing on! By the way, my MIL makes lavender scones, which was my intro to edible lavender delights. Yum!

Going to explore this online book club thingy...

Pam Asberry said...

Megan, I am humbly grateful! Lavender scones... yum! I went to WholeFoods just this afternoon in search of culinary lavender but to no avail. Guess I'm going to have to find an online source. Yes, yes, YES, be a part of my online book club. It will be FUN! :-)

unstoppablestart said...

And, more words of wisdom for me today. Pam, thank you for offering up your soul for me to read. With love and admiration - Lindy

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Lindy.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

A woman could do much worse. Yay you on the painting. So many people are afraid of color. Love the pic. Cute dog. Cute owner. ;)

Pam Asberry said...

Aw, Carol, you just made my day! :-)