Thursday, March 3, 2011

When life gives you lemons, blog about it!

It's been one of those weeks.

On Tuesday, the ATM machine accepted my deposit, then gave me a black screen of death - without crediting my account for over $1000 worth of checks.

On Wednesday, I broke my front doorknob, with the lock jammed in the out position so the door couldn't be shut completely.

The locksmith said I am a magician.

Then today, at a routine eye exam, I learned that I have cataracts. I hear what you are thinking: Pam, you are much too young for cataracts. Well, it turns out they are quite common in the over-40 set. Ahem.

There was a time in my life when a series of events such as this would have thrown me into a pit of despair so deep and so wide I might not climb out for days. Maybe even weeks.

But I feel positively lighthearted. Three of my Petit Fours and Hot Tamales sisters received wonderful news recently. (1) Carol Burnside got a release date (June 1st) and a beautiful cover for her forthcoming novel, "Bittersweet Obsessions." (2) Susan May sold her book about her uncle, a flight surgeon during World War II. (3) Sandra Elzie received a contract for a biography of former crack addict and prostitute Lisa Hensley. And three of my friends - Lindy Chaffin Start, Pamela Mason and Julee Johnson-Tate - launched writer blogs this week. I am beside myself with pride for these ladies' accomplishments and gratitude for their friendship.

Not to mention my own work is going well. I am flying through my novel revision; I am beginning to see light at the end of the tunnel. As a matter of fact, I can hardly wait for my agent pitch appointment next weekend.

With all this great stuff going on, how could I let a few minor mishaps get me down? I very calmly made a claim for the missing checks with my bank (spending a total of less than an hour on hold), got the door knob repaired (for half the amount I was originally quoted), and bought a glamorous pair of sunglasses (polarized lenses, with both UVA and UVB protection) hoping to slow the progress of the cataracts.

Then I went to Shenanigans and let Jody have her way with me. Again.

The new and improved 'do

How has your week been?

14 comments:

Lindy said...

I thought my week couldn't get better until I read your post. You make me happy, Pam. I love keeping up with you. L

S.J. Wright said...

Cute hair! Great blog post!

Sandy Elzie said...

Pam,
Petit Fours is excited about having you as a member. I'm sure we're going to be hearing great things from you soon. Oh, and sorry about the front door...that sounds like something I'd do. LOL

Sandy

Pam said...

Aw, Lindy, thanks! Likewise, for sure!

Pam said...

S.J., thank you for visiting my blog. I look forward to getting to know more about you and your writing!

Pam said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Sandy. I hope you're right! As for the front door, it gets an unusual amount of use, what with ten or twelve piano students and their families traipsing in and out every day. In ten years, I have had to call a locksmith four times now. It's an occupational hazard. ;-)

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Sorry about all the mishaps, but it sounds like you came through with flying colors.

And doesn't a CUTE do always lift a girl's spirits? ;)

Keep smiling, my friend!

Pam said...

I did my best, Carol. Yes - I don't know what I would do without Jody! She always makes me feel better. :-)

The Writers Canvas said...

Great post, and love the hairdo! I also didn't realize Pam Mason had set up a blog, I shall go over there and bookmark her page! We Cajuns have to support each other, yanno :)

Where are you pitching next weekend? Good luck and that's great you're moving along so well with revisions!

Woo Hoo!

Elaine

Pam said...

Thank you so much, Elaine! Pamela posted for the first time yesterday. She is on her way! Lindy and I are going to the Southern Lights Conference in Jacksonville next weekend, and I requested an agent pitch appointment there. I am determined to have this revision finished before I get there. Thanks for the god wishes - a little luck definitely won't hurt anything! ;-)

Julee J-T (a.k.a. Julee Adams) said...

Amen, sistah! While into every life, some rain must fall, it allows us to appreciate those sunny days a little more. I applaud your positive attitude. BTW, I was just diagnosed with beginning cataracts and glaucoma, myself. A local friend had surgeries on both eyes last year and it was like having a tooth pulled. Please keep that positive attitude and thanks for the shout out!

Pam said...

That's reassuring, Julee; the eye doctor said I am a long way from needing surgery, but that it is routine and commonplace. I'm looking forward to your next blog post!

Tami Brothers said...

Love the haircut Pam!

I did something similiar this week to mine but I like yours better!!!

Tami

Pam said...

Aw, thanks, Tami! I can't wait to see yours!