Thursday, April 7, 2011

Chugga, chugga. Choo, choo.

That's me.

Just sitting there, one eye in the rear view mirror, checking what's behind me, the other eye on the road ahead, waiting for the ENDLESS TRAIN to go by.

This week, the endless train is the home improvements projects I took on over my spring break - the painting and the sorting and the tossing and the cleaning.

Murphy's Law is in full effect here.  Everything that can go wrong has gone wrong.

Turns out that when you are working with such a dark color of satin paint you need to wait 24 hours before applying a second coat - even though the can says 2-4 hours.  Which explains why Nathan's walls are a blotchy, uneven mess.

So tomorrow I will apply a THIRD coat - using a different roller; yes, I am developing RELATIONSHIPS with the people in the paint department at Home Depot - and hope for the best.

Which means you're going to have to wait for pictures.

But we did find some cool bamboo window shades for his window at Home Depot tonight.

And I bought him a new bed frame and mattress set.  We haven't figured out how we are going to pick them up yet, but we will.  Hopefully, Nathan will be all situated in his new and improved room before school starts on Monday.

Meanwhile, everything is prepped in the piano studio.  I hoped to start painting today, but it took much longer than I ever anticipated to move the contents of those four big, heavy oak bookcases,  the bookcases themselves, and the pianos.  Finally, everything is away from the walls, which have been washed down, and the trim has been taped.  So I will put the primer coat on bright and early tomorrow morning.

The rest of my house might qualify me for federal disaster relief.  There are piles of laundry in the living room, dirty dishes in the sink, and stacks of books and paperwork in my bedroom.

And my income taxes?  HA!  I have until April 18th, right?

As for my ROW80 update, I am about 12,000 words into my revision of The Wishing Box - most of that cut and pasted from the original.  Right now, I have no choice but to give myself permission to fall short of my writing goals as I struggle to complete these physically demanding, labor-intensive projects I decided to tackle over my spring break, knowing that by Monday of next week this work will be behind me, and I will settle back into my old routine of working and writing and eating and sleeping.

I think I can.

8 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

You only fail if you haven't tried! You'll get there (also, sometimes a break is a good thing. It gives some perspective).

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. It probably wasn't a good idea to set lofty goals for this week. So I will forgive myself. :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Yet Another Learning Experience, eh? Someday, you'll look back on this as a truly fond memory and your son will, too. Yeah, you've done a bit of overreaching, but you're just so danged competant.

Speaking of trains, I was in Indy for work one time, sick as a dog and on my way to the pharmacy to pick up some meds my doctor had called in. I got stopped by a train and was feeling sorry for myself. The next to last and third from last cars were from the freightline my dad used to work for and it had been out of business for about fifteen years. Did I mention it was the eve of his birthday? He was just saying "Hi!"

Cut yourself some slack and take time to enjoy this week. The world needs more slack.

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, that's a GREAT story. I do have some fun plans on Saturday. Stay tuned! :-)

Raining Roses said...

I can't believe how busy you've been and how much you did accomplish. Pat yourself on the back!

Anonymous said...

SAIDFRAZ said...

what kind of paint are you using? I'm a diehard Behr with primer user myself.

You keep inspiring me but not enough, I think you need to come over here and kick my rear into gear!

Just remember to take some time to rest or you really will exhaust yourself. And focus on how lovely it's going to look when you're done!

Pam Asberry said...

Sherri, I accidently deleted your comment instead of publishing it, so I cut and pasted it from the email and posted it above.

I am using Behr paint over Killz2 primer; I didn't find out about the Behr with primer until I went back for a second gallon of the green and talked to the right guy. I will definitely try the Behr with primer on my next project, my bedroom. But that's going to have to wait until summer vacation!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Pete! I am woman, hear me ROAR!! :-)