Monday, April 11, 2011

Collage It

Our second assignment for D.D. Scott's Muse Therapy class was to collage our work-in-progress. I didn't have much time to spend on this, but I remembered clipping a few pictures for inspiration several months ago. So I tracked them down, pasted them together and submitted the results. Here it is.


That's Tessa, my heroine, in the center. Except she's a blonde; imagine the face of the woman in the lower left hand corner on top of the body in the middle. Margaret, Tessa's best friend, is on the right, but she has red hair and freckles; Tessa's love interests are Cameron (upper left hand corner) and Steve (lower right hand corner). This is my first book, which explains why the definition of the word "first" resonated with me so strongly. I realize my efforts aren't very artistic, but looking at this images helps keep me on track with who my characters are - at least in my head - while I am writing.

I would love to make this poster size, adding pictures of Tessa's and Margarets homes, families, friends, cars and hobbies. Not only that, I dream of creating collage art like my friend Sherri. Isn't she AMAZING? I close my eyes and imagine myself sitting at the big table in my purple room downstairs, clipping words and images from magazines and putting them together in unique and wonderful ways. Beading and sewing and knitting and crocheting and scrapbooking, too.

All in good time. Tomorrow, I plan to move that big table from my bedroom into its new home downstairs - a baby step, but it's movement in the right direction - before I begin to sort the mountain of paperwork and receipts I collected throughout 2010 and get to work on my income taxes.

It must be done. But I would rather be writing.

Have you ever tried creating a collage as preparation for a fiction project? What other creative pursuits do you enjoy?

10 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

I've never done that... though I think that's a pretty neat idea!

There are several other pursuits other than writing fiction I occasionally indulge in. I draw and paint (sometimes), as well as write poetry (when the mood strikes).

I also, very rarely, play music. Which reminds me. I have to scrape together some funds to start violin lessons...

Pam Asberry said...

I really want to play with this more, especially since my artistic ability is limited, at best. I wish I could draw and paint; I haven't given up on the notion completely, but I don't have time to invest in nurturing these skills at the moment. Violin lessons, eh? Good for you! My son has played since he was 3. It's a tough instrument! But I love listening to him.

C.G. Powell said...

I keep a charater collage on my desk while I write...It gives me a sense of their personalitys. Plus who doesn't like staring at hot guys while writing?

Pam Asberry said...

I like the way you think, C.G.! :-)

Melissa Marsh said...

I LOVE to collage! I have done several of them throughout the years, but I've never done one for my novels. I just like to build them around a central picture or idea.

EEV said...

I never did collage, but I did draw some of my characters, to make them a little more real to me. Of course I am not a professional illustrator, so they are just guidelines. And a way for me to justify my procrastination :)
- EEV

Pam Asberry said...

That sounds great, Melissa. I would like to try that, too. Most of the writers I know dabble in other creative pursuits. It's kind of interesting how one interest feeds another.

Pam Asberry said...

I can't draw a straight line with a ruler, EEV! I have other means of justifying my procrastination. ;-)

Patti said...

I've never done that, but it seems like a great idea. I'm sure my daughter would help me, she loves that kind of stuff.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for your comment, Patti! If you ever give it a whirl, let me know. I would love to hear about your experience!