Thursday, April 7, 2011

If the piano teaching thing doesn't work out, I might have a future as a painter

There's nothing to match curling up with a good book when there's a repair job to be done around the house.
~Joe Ryan

I admit it; I woke up exhausted and aching this morning. All I wanted to do was crawl into a hot bath and dive into the pages of my current read. But past the halfway point of spring break with so much work remaining to be done, taking time off wasn't an option. So I steeled myself with a couple of cups of strong coffee, a bagel and cheese sandwich and the good wishes of my friends on Twitter and Facebook, put on my painting clothes, and got busy.

I am happy to report that everything went much more smoothly today. I started in the piano studio, putting the tinted primer coat on the walls. It is a big room, so it took some time to brush along the ceilings and baseboards and in the corners then fill in with the roller. But finally the job was done.

I love this color! 

Next, I returned to Nathan's room. I put a third coat of gold on the door panels (the rest will be red) and applied the final coat of green to the walls. After waiting a full 24 hours for the second coat to try, the last one went on smoothly, filling in all the see-through patches and taking care of the splotchiness.  

It's beginning to look a lot like rasta

I never thought I would fall in love with paint roller covers, but I do believe this is The Real Thing. I give them a lot of credit for the fact that I needed less than one gallon of primer in the piano studio (after using an entire gallon in Nathan's room, which is about half the size) and for the better results on the final coat on his walls.  I will never use anything else.

Available at your local Home Depot and fine hardware stores everywhere

Tomorrow, I will finish painting Nathan's doors, supervise the hanging of the bamboo blinds and (hopefully) the assembly of the bed frame and mattress set which he and a friend are (hopefully) going to pick up at some point. Then I will finish painting in the studio. Based on my experience today, I am optimistic that one coat of paint will cover; that would be great, because I would really like to move back  into my studio on Saturday. But we shall see.

I'm not even going to try to do any writing tonight; I will get back on track with my novel revision once my house is no longer a chaotic mess. I am going to watch Grey's Anatomy, spend a few minutes curled up with that good book I was craving this morning (Lynn Kurland's A Garden in the Rain) and go to bed early. Guilt-free.

I have a date with a White Knight tomorrow.

6 comments:

EEV said...

Things are turning beautiful! Good luck :)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, EEV! I am trying to enjoy the process as much as I know I will enjoy the results! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

You TOTALLY deserve that guilt-free break!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M.! Sadly, there wasn't a new episode of "Grey's" last night and I fell asleep about two pages into my novel. But I probably needed the rest!

Lara said...

How'd your date go?

;-)

-Lara
www.yourplotthickens.com

Pam Asberry said...

Lara, my date was fabulous. :-)