Sunday, April 3, 2011

It's Gonna Be One Wild Week

It is officially spring break here in Gwinnett County, Georgia. Nathan and I were scheduled to go on a cruise this week; unfortunately, my finances did not cooperate, so I had to cancel our trip. Instead, I am going to spend the next seven days working on the following.
  • HOME IMPROVEMENTS
Here are the "before" pictures, taken just a few minutes ago.

Nathan's Bedroom

Piano Studio, View 1

Piano Studio, View 2

Piano Studio, View 3

My Bedroom

Sigh.

In our defense, please note that the deconstruction has already begun. We don't always live like this. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
  • INCOME TAXES
This is one time of year I hate being self-employed. Because I am going to have to set aside at least one full day to organize that mountain of receipts and start filling out those returns. Thank goodness for Quicken and Turbo Tax.
  • WRITING
To help me stay on track with my writing in the midst of all this chaos, I am joining A Round of Words in 80 Days writing challenge tomorrow. Beginning April 4th and ending June 23rd, I am committed to the following writing goals:
  1. Outline revision of The Wishing Box; complete rewrite (minimum 250 words per day/7000 words per week).
  2. Create synopsis of Hilda and submit to agent per request.
  3. Compose one short story and submit for publication to Woman's World magazine.
  4. Post regularly to blog.
If you would like to participate - even if you have never done any writing before - click HERE for the rules. Your goals are strictly up to you; there is no mandatory word count. And if you don't have a personal blog and would like to share your goals as a comment at the end of this post, feel free.
  • ONLINE BOOK CLUB
My readers have spoken; our first online book club selection will be To Kill A Mockingbird. To participate, all you have to do is get a copy of the book and start reading. I will open comments for discussion on Friday, May 13th; I am really looking forward to digging into this novel and chatting about it with you!

***

So we're not going on a luxury vacation. But I'm hoping we will end the week with a sense of satisfaction in our accomplishments. Moving forward, I know we will enjoy the improvements in our living spaces.

And maybe, just maybe, I will be able to get my ducks in a row so that Nathan and I can climb on board this big ship in June, 2012. Who wants to come along?

21 comments:

Megan said...

1. I hate it when the finances don't cooperate. Stupid finances.
2. Your photos made me feel like I'm less a failure and more a human. They were like a big, photographic, welcoming hug.
3. I'm going to make a list of writing to-dos now, thanks to you.

Check you out, being all inspirational and stuff! Now to find my old copy of To Kill A Mockingbird...

Katherine said...

Welcome to RoW80! Hope you have a good, productive time with us all until Day 80 (and maybe beyond)!

Pam Asberry said...

I have to admit, Megan, it was painful posting those pictures. I was wishing I had taken the "before" pictures BEFORE I started ripping everything apart - BEFORE I stopped caring because I knew things would get worse before they get better. But this is our reality right now, I am tired of hiding behind a silly wall of false perfection. Let me shout it to the world: I am so, SO human! And if those pictures made you feel hugged, well, they were worth every ounce of humiliation! ;-) So you already have the book? You are ahead of me. I wish it were available for Kindle! Happy reading!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Katherine! I am super excited about ROW80, and look forward to getting to know you better. Thanks for stopping by!

unstoppablestart said...

Yes, stupid finances, but thank goodness for timing. This is going to be your year my friend. I can feel it. And it starts with "cleaning out those cobwebs." Mess today, gone tomorrow, cruising next year! Yea!

Pam Asberry said...

Oh, Lindy, I hope you're right! I am going to "do the work" and trust the rest will follow. Here's to cleaning out those cobwebs!

Walt Mussell said...

Good luck on that schedule. I'm too late for that "Around the Word...," but I do have a WIP to finish editing quickly.

Pam Asberry said...

Hey Walt! You're not too late; the challenge starts tomorrow, and there are actually provisions for joining in late. Good luck with the editing!

Buddy Gott said...

Hi there, Pam. Best of luck to you with ROW80. I think I'm going to have a fun time doing it.

P.S. - Nice "meeting" you too! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Buddy! Good luck to you, too!

Nathan said...

how you gonna post my room up on the internet like that?

Pam Asberry said...

It's fair, Nathan; I posted mine, too...

JoshG400 said...

That's the cleanest I've ever seen nathan's room...

Pam Asberry said...

Look out, Josh, or I'll post some old pictures of your room... ;-)

B said...

You call that a messy house? Pfft! Amateur!! Look at all that visible floor space! ;D

I would be happy if I could get mine up to that level of NEATNESS.

Pam Asberry said...

Lol, B!! Thanks for your kind words. Things are actually worse at the moment, but they WILL get better! :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Whew! I'm tired just reading about it. I, on the other hand, am not brave enough to post pictures. The dust bunnies are not tumbleweed size yet. I am entering the Harlequin Memorial Day competition later this month and cleaning out the office today, though. Here's to our further successes!

Melissa Marsh said...

Ah. A teenager's room. I remember those days well from when my stepsons lived with us. ALWAYS a mess.

I am finally moved in and the house is nice and neat - for now! Can't wait to get started on the writing again. Best of luck with your challenge!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, at the conclusion of our first day of painting, I am wondering if I have bitten off more than I can chew. Gonna forget all about it for awhile and write my 250 words for ROW80. Good luck in the Harlequin competition!

AllMyPosts said...

Wow!!

It's really gonna be wild!! Take care!! HOpe you accomplish much more!!

with warm regards
http://becomingprince.blogspot.com

Pam Asberry said...

Hey Ahbishek! I am exhausted, but we are getting there! Thanks for your encouragement!