Friday, April 15, 2011

I've got to admit, it's getting better

I didn't even think about my income taxes today. Well, okay, I THOUGHT about them. But I didn't LOOK at them. I didn't have the heart. The filing deadline is Monday. Maybe I will finish them tomorrow.

I tried to focus on GOOD things today. I did a few loads of laundry. I cleaned my bedroom. My sister-in-law came over after work and we got caught up. I made tilapia and roasted baby potatoes for dinner.

And just when I needed it most, I got a surprise in the mail.


Yep, I got my PRO pin from Romance Writers of America.  According to the Georgia Romance Writers website, "Pro designation means you have taken a step beyond being a hobbyist. You have, in fact, written a novel, and you have taken the added step of submitting it to a publisher or a literary agent." Even if said publisher or agent rejects the manuscript. I am a PRO.  

I am so proud of my pin and what it means. I actually shed a couple of tears when I opened the envelope and read the letter. My boys didn't understand but that's okay. Now I am more excited than ever about the Georgia Romance Writers meeting tomorrow, seeing all my inspiring friends and honing my skills as a novelist.

What a difference a day makes.

21 comments:

Melanie Rickmar said...

Congratulations, Pam! I'm happy for you!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Melanie! :-)

Suzy Turner said...

Congratulations Pam!!
I can imagine how delighted you must be... it's wonderful to have written a novel in the first place, let alone receive recognition for it.
I know exactly how you started your day. I filed my tax papers last week... it's a day I always dread. Living in Portugal, I have to understand all the complicated Portuguese words that they seem to change every year and it confuses me so much. There have been years where I've been in tears over it (I can be a cry baby though!). But this year, it was easy than ever and I finished it quickly and with no problems at all! I was so relieved to get it done!
Thanks for coming by my blog, by the way. I look forward to reading more about you journey to being published!
Best wishes
Suzy Turner

Raining Roses said...

You SO deserve this. Wear it with pride!

Julee J. Adams said...

And a giant WOOT for the good news and for you! I'm hoping to soon follow. It means a lot. Congrats and keep plugging! Thanks, RWA and hope you have a super time at your meeting!

SAIDFRAZ said...

Congrats on your Pro pin. I can't wait to tell people I knew you when!

By the way, I meant to come in Thursday to see your studio but got caught up in a phone call. I hope to make it in next week. Can't wait to see it.

Nicki Salcedo said...

Didn't I see you today? Did you mention this? Bring the pin? Please email me. This is a big deal and this is your chapter president talking. Love you. Love you.

Bryonna Nobles said...

PAM ASBERRY!!!! How could you not tell us you got your PRO Pin today??? THAT'S SO GREAT!!

B Snow said...

Congratulations! I'm so sorry I didn't read this yesterday, I would have congratulated you in person today! Such awesome news!!!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much, Suzy - for visiting my blog and for your kind, supportive comments! Glad you got your taxes sorted out easily and I look forward to following your journey as a writer, too!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Pete! I wore the pin to my GRW meeting today. And I did feel proud! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Julee! It feels GREAT to be PRO! Do it asap. And out meeting today was wonderful. Check back later for a full report!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Sherri! I just hope I will be able to live up to your expectations. In the meantime, I look forward to showing you my purple paradise. I love, love, love it!

Pam Asberry said...

Um, yes, Nicki... I was there today (hanging my head in shame)... I will email you... Thanks for the love...

Pam Asberry said...

Bryonna and Beth, thank you so much. I actually wore my pin to the meeting but I just didn't say anything. I think I am in trouble now...

Tami Brothers said...

Yay!!!! Much deserved. Welcome to the club. Now if only we can move to that NEXT level...wink...wink....

Hugs

Tami

Christine said...

I'm so happy for you, Pam. This is a great step toward your ultimate goal of getting published one day. Welcome to the ranks and keep on writing!!! You know how many people SAY they want to write a book and never do? Well, now you're one who said, who did, who will again!! Keep reaching for the stars!!

:-)

Pam Asberry said...

Christine, that was the reason I started writing a novel in the first place; I didn't want my epitaph to be "she meant to write a book." Thanks for your support and encouragement. Of course, my next goal is to join the ranks of PUBLISHED authors. Here's to both of us!

Pam Asberry said...

YES, Tami! Let's move to the next level! And the sooner, the better! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

That's wonderful, Pam! Congrats!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M.! It feels GREAT! :-)