Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Meet My Muses

I intended to title this post Nathan's Room, Day 2; I would have, too, if I could have shown you the end result of all my labors.  Unfortunately, I ran out of paint halfway through the second coat, necessitating a closing-time run to Home Depot for more.  By the time I finished there and did a couple of other important errands while I had access to my car (Casey and I are still sharing) and got home, it was 11PM - too late and too dark for more painting.  Surely we will finish tomorrow.  I will share pictures then.

Meanwhile, I finished my first assignment for DeeDee Scott's Muse Therapy class, which was to "name your muses and identify what makes them tick - and what ticks them off."  It's funny; I never thought of my muses as separate entities before, but now that I have completed this exercise, they seem as real to me as the characters in my books (and that's pretty real).  And now that I know who they are, I can better take advantage of all they have to offer me.  This is what I came up with.

My muses are Manishi (from the Hindu, meaning "sagacity, desire"), Imani (Swahili, "faith, belief") and Aldith (Old English - "seasoned warrior").  These beautiful, strong women live up to their names - and they wear bright colors, great shoes, and funky accessories (frothy scarves and big earrings) unique to their individual personalities.  They are steadfast and consistent; they meditate for ten minutes every morning, prefer wholesome, delicious food, sleep at least seven hours every night, and exercise - usually walking outside - daily.  They like working for me but they don't NEED this job; they show up on time every morning, but if there is nothing for them to do they aren't likely to stick around waiting.  And if they leave unfulfilled, it can be really challenging to convince them to come back.  Like me, they like to kick back weekends; if they had their 'druthers, they would go out dancing every Friday night, spend Saturdays poking around at indie bookstores/antique shops/Ross/DSW/hobby and craft shops,  and people-watch every Sunday afternoon at Starbucks.  These are ways they restock their creative ponds.  They request dark chocolate and red wine daily and need cruise ships and/or the beach at regular intervals in order to fully relax and recharge.

I have a lot in common with these ladies but they are SO MUCH BETTER than I am.  I am not nearly as wise, confident or brave as they are, but they provide good examples for me and they stay by my side despite my shortcomings.  So the least I can do is be ready when they arrive every day and take advantage of their willingness to help me DO THE WORK.

Naturally, DeeDee had some wise and insightful comments in response to all of this.  If you haven't been to her site before, click HERE to check it out.

In the spirit of the muses, I have been coveting these salt and pepper shakers ever since I saw them on Pamela Mason's blog this morning.  Designed by Jonathan Adler, they definitely appeal to my sense of whimsy!


Mr. & Mrs. Muse

Who are your muses?  What do you do to feed and care for them?  How do you nurture your whimsical side?

***

This post was supposed to go live on Tuesday but here it is the wee hours of Wednesday.  Check in later for that picture of Nathan's room as well as my today's ROW80 update.

6 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

That's a very good question.

I think that I get a different muse with each story. I think they just come to tell me their stories, and then vanish, never to be seen again. One of the most persistent characters is a particularly dark and brooding man. He's been with me since I was 14. I don't actually know his name, so I just named him Julian. He is now the central character in a six book epic fantasy series I'm currently writing.

As for a sense of whimsy, I have plenty of that! This week, I'm indulging in silly conversations about names of horses that I do not own (yet). I read fun poems with faeries as the subject. I occasionally dress up in period clothing, like Medieval (it's one of my favourites)just 'cause I feel like it, and I often daydream.

Everyone should indulge their whimsical sides!

Pam Asberry said...

Interesting that you have different muses for different stories, S.M. Julian sounds intriguing; I look forward to meeting him! I love the ways you indulge your whimsy - especially dressing up in period costume just because you feel like it. It's the little things, isn't it?

Melissa Marsh said...

I don't know that I really have a muse. I think it's just a troll that lives in my stomach and demands chocolate all the time and cracks the whip when I'm not writing. ;-)

Can't wait to see the room! We painted EVERY room in our new house. It was quite the chore, though to be fair, hubby did most of it. ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Melissa, your muse sounds like an authoritarian parent - lol! I am still hoping to get some pictures up tonight, but I am having trouble getting an even finish with my satin paint, so it's back to Home Depot. Give that husband of yours a hug; weeks like this, I think it might be nice to have one of those! ;-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Love the salt and pepper shakers! Gee, our trip to Home Depot last night was for ant spray--to head off the annual triffid invasion in the office.

I don't know that I have muses per se. My characters talk to me and tell me what's happening. It's just my job to get it down. I love how you found cool names. I really get a kick out of going through the baby name and trivia books for inspiration.

Keep plugging, my friend! Keep reaching for inspiration, no matter where you find it!

Pam Asberry said...

Hi Julee! Yes, it was fun choosing names for my muses. I am looking forward to setting up my writing space and surrounding myself with the objects that inspire me.