Monday, April 4, 2011

Nathan's Room, Day 1

We're off to a slow start but at least we are out of the gate. I had forgotten how much time it takes to prepare a room for painting: filling nail holes, removing outlets and switch plates, washing baseboards, taping. But finally we were ready! The picture above shows the primer coat. It is a much mintier green than the actual paint color. This is the look we are going for,

although I think our gallon of green is actually a wee bit darker. Regardless, Nathan promises he will be happy with the end result, since he chose the three colors -green, red and gold - himself.

Tomorrow we will put on the top coat, touch up the baseboard and paint the doors. We are also getting ready to order a bed frame and mattress, and we are looking at window shades and decorative items.

It's amazing what a difference a little paint and a lot of effort can make!

***

I also started work on romance novelist D.D. Scott's Muse Therapy class today. I don't know whether or not it's too late to join in this session, but I encourage you to take a look for future reference. Based on her book by the same name, D.D. says this course is all about injecting life into weary and/or stressed muses, and she promises to give writers "fun and fabulous tools to analyze their muses' funks, reign in their creative divas and up their page counts." D.D.'s style is lighthearted and breezy but she knows what she is talking about; this first assignment has totally captured my imagination.

So now I'm off to get better acquainted with my muses (I don't even know their names yet!) and to write the 250 words I committed to for A Round of Words in 80 Days. THEN I will sleep. And start all over again tomorrow.

8 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

That course sounds fabulous! My muse at the moment is a very dark, bad-tempered and lonely individual. Poor guy...

Have fun!

Eileen Astels Watson said...

I think the room is going to bring smiles to your faces when it's done. How can it not with such cheery colours!!

DD's course does sound amazing. I'll check back here in hopes of more updates on it! My muse could always use an encouraging friend!

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., it turns out I have THREE muses; they are best of friends, and they DO NOT like to be ignored. I had no idea, and am hoping this new information will turn my writing life around! I'll keep you posted...

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for following my blog, Eileen! That teenager of mine has a great imagination, and he LOVES reggae music, so this room is going to be perfect for him. We are having a lot of fun putting it all together!

Julee J. Adams said...

How fun! Good mama. I, being less ambitious and not having children, went through my framing kit and will get some drawers in place this afternoon.

My muse talks to me all the time. I established a timeline for the book I'm starting for the Harlequin Memorial Day challenge and got a couple of scenes in my notebook this morning. Only edited about 40 pages yesterday for my first mss., but will do more this evening.

Just another round of spring cleaning, in our living spaces and in our heads.

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

New home = lots of painting.

You just had to remind me, didn't you? ;)

Pam Asberry said...

I read a funny quote today, Julee; "Writer's block: when your imaginary friends won't talk to you." That's EXACTLY what it's like with my muses!

Pam Asberry said...

Sorry, Carol. ;-)