Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Rest of My Purple Paradise

I promised pictures of the other half of my music and art studio today. Here they are.


From left to right, you can see my cutting table, my hobby table (for beading and scrapbooking), another oak bookcase (which holds all my adult fiction novels as well as my writing books and my craft books), my sewing machine table and its matching draw stack with serger. I haven't committed to the bulletin board yet, which is why it is propped up on the hobby table instead of hanging on the wall.  It might be useful for pinning up inspiration, but I'm not sure I want the added clutter. I'm still thinking.

Meanwhile, I made a few changes in the other half of the studio.




Notice the artwork on the walls; also, I moved the large desk chair and the blue chair from the first set of pictures out of the room and replaced them with the black chair from my bedroom. It will serve both in front of the computer, next to the piano, and at the beading table.

I know I have mentioned this before, but it feels great to be in this space. The color is cheerful and soothing; the room seems bigger. I am convinced the piano sounds better, too, although I guess that isn't really possible. It has been fun watching my students' reactions when they walk in this week; their response has been overwhelmingly positive.

I also put the first coat of red paint on Nathan's doors, but it's going to take two or maybe even three more to cover, so please be patient with me. No more pictures until it is finished.

I was hoping my income tax return would do itself while I was otherwise occupied, but, alas, it did not. So tomorrow I simply MUST finish organizing that mountain of receipts, load TurboTax, and start cranking the numbers. I am determined to get both my federal and state returns filed by Friday evening, because I have big plans for the weekend and I don't want anything unpleasant hanging over my head while I am having fun.

Writing? I am 2378 words into my manuscript revision, just short of where I should be - 2500 words -  according to my ROW80 commitment. I know that once all the dust has settled from my home improvements and the income taxes are done I will settle back into my daily routine of writing; my momentum will increase and the revision process will pick up speed. In the meantime, I am doing well to find time to write at all.

Still, I have a great sense of pride in the work I have done over the past several days. I set some pretty ambitious goals for myself, and I met them all. Now I am looking forward to many happy hours in my beautiful new space - sewing and beading, scrapbooking and making music - and without the clutter and distractions in my bedroom, I am convinced that the time I spend writing in there will be more productive than ever.

16 comments:

AllMyPosts said...

Happy to know that you have achieved most of your ambitious goals and have a wonderful workplace ( where you can sew bead .. play music .. )

thanks for sharing!!!

with warm regards
CatchyTips for Writers

Cheryl said...

It looks awesome!

Cindy said...

You are more than half way up the mountain, take a deep breath and enjoy the view!

Pam Asberry said...

Abhishek, thank you for visiting. Next I'm going to work on setting up a writing space in a corner of my bedroom. I am really looking forward to that, too!

Pam Asberry said...

Cheryl and Cindy, thank you! :-)

Will Welsh said...

Looks great in there! Very relaxing.

S.M. Carrière said...

That is really a beautiful space! You ought to be very proud indeed. I can't wait to see the photos of Nathan's room.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Will and S.M.! It turned out better than I imagined. And it was pretty great in my imagination!

Laila Knight said...

You've done a wonderful job. I can't wait to see the pink room...^-^...

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Laila! :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Woot! Congrats on the progress--give yourself permission to be proud!

I wrote another eight pages of notes on my Harlequin challenge book and will start getting it into the computer tonight. However, all good feelings of accomplishment fell by the wayside when I saw your picture with your cutting table. I "had to have" one a few years ago and Chris got it for me, but it's still in the box out in the garage! Soon, my friends.....

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, my cutting table has been in the garage ever since I moved into my house almost ten years ago. I am very happy to have a place to put it once again. It is such a useful tool! Good job on the writing. You are really making progress!

About the Author said...

I love the color you chose, Pam! My husband and I are actually getting ready to paint our new home, and your beautiful room gave me inspiration! Thank you! :)

Jolina Petersheim

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Jolina. It really is a great color. Even my die-hard boy-to-the-core piano students love it. :-)

Melissa Marsh said...

OH! I LOVE the purple! Gorgeous, gorgeous room. Well done. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much, Melissa! I feel proud, if I do say so myself! :-)