Saturday, April 23, 2011

Some Assembly Required

With the craft table out of the way and in my purple studio, I decided to create a special writing space in my bedroom. Generally, I sit propped up in my bed with my laptop - not great for my back or my tendinitis, and not very professional. A desk was in order. With such a small space and an even smaller budget available, I knew it wouldn't be easy to find just the right something. But then I went to Target in search of a lamb cake pan (I will explain tomorrow) and there it was: the Anywhere Desk (click HERE), solid wood with a cherry finish, and only $99. There was however, some assembly required; the box contained 10 pieces of wood, 67 pieces of hardware, and a booklet of instructions. Gulp. I had a hard enough time getting that heavy box off the shelf and into my shopping cart and then out of the cart into my car; as a matter of fact, it was probably comical to anyone watching. But somehow I managed, and although Nathan heaved the box from the car into my bedroom, this morning I located the necessary tools (a regular screwdriver and a phillips head screwdriver) and put the desk together all by myself. Here is a picture of my beautiful new writing nook.


I intend to keep the top of the desk relatively uncluttered; the items I chose to place there are simple but meaningful. There is a picture of my critique partners and me, representing the dreams I have for my writing; a stone a friend I have lost touch with picked up on the beach in Ireland, reminding me of all the faraway places I intend to go; a chai-scented candle, because the shimmering glow of a candle inspires me; and a coaster Pat gave me for my birthday last year, because I need a safe resting place for my coffee cup or wine glass.

The lamp is new, too - another bargain from Target (click HERE). It required assembly, as well - the stand is actually made from five pieces which screw into a base - but it was definitely easier to put together than the desk. It is perfect; the three-way bulb on top provides soft light in the corner of my bedroom, and the reading lamp is just what I need for all my late night romance novels. 

Finally, I hung up a bulletin board, the perfect place to collect inspiring pictures and quotes. Ah. 

Did I say I put the desk together all by myself? I guess I did have a helper of sorts.

Karma likes the new digs.

I will admit all this was daunting. Although I rarely let a little thing like inexperience stop me from doing what I want to do, I sometimes find myself in a bit over my head. This morning, for example, I couldn't help but daydream - just for a moment - about a big, strong man, handy with tools and eager to please me. He would effortlessly put all those pieces together while I admired his brains, brawn and prowess. Well, when no one matching that description appeared, I took a deep breath, sorted through my confusion over "how to use the cam lock system" and puzzled my way through Step 1 of the instructions. None of it made any sense to me at first; again, to someone accustomed to this sort of work, my befuddlement would have been laughable. But I persevered, and by the time I got to the end of Step 1, I knew I had it made. By the time I finished, I felt like a master builder.

Promise me you'll always remember: you're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Maybe this will be the first quote I post on my new bulletin board. After all, I'm a lot better with words than I am with a screwdriver. If I could assemble that desk, I can revise my novel.  I guess I'd better get back to work.

***

Don't forget, our book club discussion of To Kill A Mockingbird will be Friday, May 13th. Be sure to pick up a copy and start reading. I can hardly wait!

6 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

You know, I joked the reason I got married was to have someone change my flat tires. Then, I got a flat outside of Terre Haute all by myself. I want you to know I changed the #@$% thing myself (after looking at the instructions and saying a prayer) in my sandals. A younger couple stopped by and the guy checked that I'd tightened the lug nuts enough and he said I did, "an excellent job." Did I mention this was pre-cell phone?

So, yes, I have complete faith you can do whatever you want and revel in your success. Ain't we somethin' ladies?

Pam Asberry said...

I draw the line at changing a flat tire. That's why I have AAA. But I totally admire you for handling that situation! Yes, we are something!

Tami Brothers said...

Way to go, Pam! The space looks awesome!!!

I'm one of those who have been putting stuff like this together for years. Hubby and I build and remodel houses just for the fun of it. BUT and I do add the big BUT here because we all start out like this.

Just think of what it was like when you first sat down to write.... Same feeling, huh? Just think how far ahead you are now than you were then.

Great job and I really think this will be a wonderful place to write that next NYTBS.

Happy Easter!!!!

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Tami. I really do like it. I am going to paint my bedroom over the summer. I am leaning towards pink but I am not positive about that. Yes, I agree this will be the perfect place to write my NYTBS. I can't wait to share THAT good news at GRW! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

That's awesome! Your writing nook looks lovely. I like the images behind the items you chose to place there. Nice work!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M.! I am sitting at my little desk right now, getting ready to write today's blog post. It feels RIGHT.