Thursday, April 21, 2011

Writer's Smorgasbord



When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.
~Buddhist Proverb

Finally, I am poised to return to work on my novel revision. Part of me feels guilty for taking a "break," but I think maybe my book will be the better for it. Not only did my story have time to simmer, I found some resources to help me with a couple of problem areas. 

In her notes on my manuscript submitted for the Gin Ellis Workshop, Carla Fredd pointed out two main elements I needed to work on: showing versus telling and deeper point of view. So what happened? I stumbled upon a couple of wonderful articles addressing those very issues. Janice Hardy wrote a great post on some common mistakes writers make in showing versus telling; click HERE to read it. And Camy Tang shared a series of lessons on deeper point of view; to get started, click HERE.

Then, if you have a Kindle, run (don't walk) to Amazon and get your free copy of Steven Pressfield's Do The Work (click HERE). Then go to Danielle LaPorte's site (click HERE) and read her wonderful piece on resistance. In it, she shares the following quote from Do The Work:

The more important a call or action is to our soul's evolution, the more Resistance we will feel toward pursuing it.

I needed to paint my studio purple and clean up the mess I made in the process. I had to file my taxes, and it was important to spend time with Pat. But now my novel is begging for attention. I must complete 5000 words in order to meet the ROW80 goal I set for myself at the beginning of the month. I promise to have it done before my next ROW80 checkin on Sunday.

Or my name isn't Pam Asberry.

3 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Good stuff--I appreciate the links to the resources. Your name is Pam Asberry, so you'd best be getting your groove on, right? LOL Keep up the good work and we'll see you in a bit for Follow Friday!

S.M. Carrière said...

You can do it! Also, thanks a million for the resources.

Pam Asberry said...

Julee and S.M., glad you enjoy the links. We are so lucky to have the internet! And thank you for your encouragement. I love my writer friends!