Sunday, May 1, 2011

Happy May Day

Does anybody celebrate May Day anymore? When I was a kid, my friends and I would fashion cones from construction paper and glue, fill them with flowers from our mothers' gardens, hang them on the neighbors' doors, ring their bells and run like crazy. Those were the good old days.

I had a wonderful weekend. Saturday was the fourteenth annual Gwinnett County Music Teachers Association Piano Ensemble Concert. I was at rehearsal from 8:45AM until 1:45PM, home just long enough to change clothes, and back at the venue at 3:30 for the 4:00 concert. Only three of my students participated this year, but they did me proud. I enjoyed playing the teacher piece, a duet arrangement of Moszkowski's Opus 74, No. 2 Kaleidoscope arranged by Weekley & Arganbright. The concert was not recorded and my camera battery was dead so I wasn't able to take any pictures. But I will always remember.

My neighborhood Borders Books went out of business several weeks ago, but on my way home from the concert I stopped at another location and I treated myself to a frozen cinnamon vanilla twist latte (delicious!) and three new books: To Kill A Mockingbird (our first online book club selection - have you started reading yet?) Bossypants by Tina Fey, and Simply Irresistible by Jill Shalvis - whose name I couldn't recall once I got to the bookstore, so I pulled up Tami Brothers' Blog on my iPhone and scrolled through some of her book reviews until I found it. If you love reading romance and have never visited Tami's site, you really should!

This morning, I added 1746 words to my novel revision for a total of 4,414. Since I was busy all day yesterday with the concert, I am giving myself until Wednesday's ROW80 check-in to meet my goal of 10,000 words for the week.

I also did some beading. I finished a leather macrame bracelet and a resin domino pendant; I made a Czech glass necklace and matching earrings; and I  made five pairs of earrings made from Swarovski rivoli beads.

This color is my favorite.

I need to photograph everything and get the listings up on my Etsy site, one item per day. I also had a request for ankle bracelets, so I am looking forward to experimenting with a few of those.

Dinner was baked talapia, roasted red potatoes and onions, and steamed asparagus. I was hoping to make some muffins for tomorrow morning's breakfast, but my time and energy have run out. As soon as I get this posted, I am going to spend a few minutes with Harper Lee and then hit the hay. I have 15 piano students tomorrow, and I intend to get in a couple of hours of writing before my teaching day begins, so a good night's sleep is imperative!

I hope you had a wonderful weekend - and after all those April showers, I bet we are in for some spectacular May flowers!

6 comments:

Claire Legrand said...

Good job getting all those words down, even with your busy weekend! I hope you enjoy Bossypants; I'm dying to read it! Happy writing this week! :D

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Claire! I can't wait to get started. But first, TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD!

Tami Brothers said...

Congrats on the concert, Pam! Three is a wonderful number. Better than 0 .

Thanks a ton for the shout out. I hope you enjoy the story. Jill Shalvis is one of my very favorite authors and an automatic buy for me.

I can't wait to see those earings. Love the color of those beads.

Keep on writing, girl.

Tami

Julee J. Adams said...

A good weekend all around! I remember May Day too and a Jewish friend said this year, it was also Holocaust Rememberance Day.

All that, tilapia and new books. Life is good. Here's hoping it will continue!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for stopping by, Tami! I didn't mean to sound like I was complaining about having only three students participate in the ensemble concert this year; it's just that in the past I have had twenty-something, and I spend a lot of hours preparing for this event. But like I said, I was very proud of my three, and I had a great time performing, as well. I can't wait to get started on "Simply Irresistible" - just as soon as I finish "To Kill A Mockingbird." And I will try to get those earrings on my Etsy site tomorrow. I took pictures today - they turned out great!

Pam Asberry said...

Holocaust Remembrance Day - I had no idea. Here's to life!