Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Lost and found. But mostly lost.

Last Thursday, I grabbed a must-read book off the shelf downstairs and brought it up to my bedroom. At least, I *THOUGHT* I did. Now I can't find it anywhere. It isn't in my bedroom, it isn't on the bookshelf, and it is nowhere in between. I know because I have retraced my footsteps at least two dozen times.

Maybe the dog ate it?

I have combed the entire house. I have looked EVERYWHERE. In the refrigerator. In the garbage. In my closet and under the bed. In drawers and in closets. Even inside my car. 

The sad thing is, unless I am able to locate this volume before the weekend, I am going to have to replace it. 

Which practically guarantees I will find it. As soon as the replacement arrives.

* * *

I have a long history of losing things, and a few miraculous stories of recovery.

Several years back, I set a sterling silver ring sitting on a store shelf while I tried some hand cream. I forgot to put it back on my finger and left the store without it; I returned just minutes later to retrieve it, but it was no longer on the shelf. I assumed that someone else had picked it up and walked off with it, but left my contact information with the shop owner just in case. To my great surprise, I heard from her months later; they had done some remodeling, and spotted my ring on the floor behind a shelf. In retrospect, I'm not sure which was more surprising - that she found the ring or that she actually remembered me and still had my phone number.

A couple of Christmases ago, I received a Starbucks gift card from one of my piano students along with their annual holiday greeting, but when I went back to the days' mail to grab the card and put it in my wallet, it wasn't there. I searched high and low for it, to no avail. More than a year later, I pulled a pocketbook I don't use very often out of my closet and, lo and behold, that Starbucks card was tucked into an old wallet hidden inside the pocketbook. I have no recollection of putting it there, but apparently I did.

I wasn't so lucky with my first cell phone, left in a public restroom stall; a nice pair of sunglasses that disappeared one day at the beach; a silver Skagen watch that slipped off my wrist somewhere between a cruise ship and my car parked at the port. And still missing are my Zoppini charm bracelet, which I spent a couple of years and a ridiculous amount of money completing; a cherished black leather jacket; and my diamond stud earrings, a long-ago gift from my ex-husband. I keep hoping these items will turn up in an unlikely place. But as the months and the years go by, the possibility seems less and less likely.

Maybe if I were better organized/less scattered/twenty years younger, I wouldn't lose so many things. As it is, I might need to develop some preventive strategies.

A place for everything and everything in its place. Never leave personal items unattended in a public venue, even for a moment.

Or maybe, like Uncle Billy in It's A Wonderful Life, I should try tying strings around my fingers.

Do you have any lost and found stories or helpful strategies to share?

12 comments:

Ashley Nixon said...

I'm sorry about your book and the other things that have been misplaced. :( I hope you find them!

Today, I went looking for my glasses and couldn't find them anywhere! So, I asked my boyfriend where they were. He took one look at me, laughed and said, "they're on your face!"
And they were. I guess I'm so used to wearing them I didn't realize they were on??? I'm going with that one. haha.

Pam Asberry said...

That is hilarious, Ashley! Another friend told me today that he was looking everywhere for his cell phone; turned out it was in his hand the whole time. I totally buy your story about the glasses. :-)

Kara_Malinczak said...

Your dog is adorable. I love the snoot. What a cutie-pie. I just want to kiss and snuggle.

Pam Asberry said...

He is the best dog, Kara. His name is Karma. "Good Karma." :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Would being 20 years younger really help? I'm only in my 20s and I'm continually losing things!

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., I can barely remember my 20's but I am pretty sure the problem has gotten worse with age. See what you have to look forward to? ;-)

Jennifer Starks said...

I have a think for losing packs of gum lately. Now, everytime we go to a gas station or store my husband just grabs a pack because he figures I have no idea where mines at.

Pam Asberry said...

At least a pack of gum is easy to replace, Jennifer. Your husband sounds like a sweetie!

Pauline Barclay said...

Hope the books turns up! I one put something away for save keeping, years on I've never found it!

Love the pic of your dog, so cute!

Pam Asberry said...

Still no book, Pauline. But I'm still hopeful...

Natalie said...

I am also notorious for losing things. I grew up Catholic (my mom still is) Although I am a Christian, I don't believe in most of the "Catholic" stuff - with one exception.....you know they pray to saints for different things - each saint has his own "specialty" so to speak. I don't know if this is true or not, but my mom always told me to pray to St. Anthony when you lose something and you'll find it. I've been doing this all my life and it almost always works. Whether it can really be attributed to St. Anthony or something else, I don't know....I just do what works....

Pam Asberry said...

A Facebook friend made the same suggestion, Natalie. I've never prayed to a saint before, but it's worth a shot...