Monday, May 30, 2011

A Weekend in Washington State

I intended to blog every day while I was away - honestly, I did. The truth is I barely found time to sleep, much less to boot up my laptop and go online. But it was all good. This is what happened.

My friend Cindy picked me up at the Seattle airport on Friday afternoon. We had lunch at Pier 57.


Then we rode to the top of the Seattle Space Needle and took in the view of the city.


Next stop was Cindy's house in Olympia. We dumped my luggage, freshened up, and joined a few of Cindy's friends for some nightlife. They welcomed me with open arms. Washington folks are nice folks. 

Saturday morning, we returned to Seattle and visited Pike Place Market.


There were amazing sights at every turn.








The original Starbucks.

There were also a couple of attractions that I found just plain weird.

Rachel the Pig, the mascot of Pike Place Market.

The Gum Wall. That's right; people stick their used chewing gum on this wall. Gross.

It was also weird to be wearing sweaters and jackets and shoes and socks; there is about a thirty-degree temperature difference between Seattle and Atlanta. But it turns out I was really, really lucky; although there was nothing but rain in the weekend forecast, we enjoyed sunshine instead. Perhaps it followed me from Georgia.

After we left Pike Place Market, we spent a couple of hours at the Northwest Folklife Festival


before adjourning to another friend's house to watch the sunset over Mercer Island.


Jet lagged as I was by that time, I did my best to help Cindy stay awake during the drive back to Olympia. We slept in on Sunday morning, then swung by the capitol building,


hit the Olympia Farmer's Market, and indulged in a decadent brunch at Anthony's Restaurant.

Full tummies are happy tummies.

We spent the afternoon at the local theater watching the movie Bridesmaids (hilarious!) and ended the day with a home cooked salmon feast. Ah.

Knowing it would be our last evening together for who-knows-how-long, it was hard to call it a night; to make matters worse, my flight left Seattle at seven o'clock this morning. But we made it to the airport on time and I am back in my sunny bedroom, safe and sound, with a head full of happy memories and a heart full of gratitude for the warmth and hospitality of my new friends in the Pacific Northwest - most especially Cindy. Clearly, God has a wicked sense of humor or I would never have become acquainted with this woman, much less call her forever friend; the fictionalized account of this tale will be my summer writing project. You don't want to miss it.

10 comments:

EEV said...

Hi Pam!

Sounds like you had a terrific trip! I'd love to know Seattle, and I'm happy you're having such a good time :) Enjoy!

- EEV

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, EEV! This was my first trip to the Pacific Northwest, but I hope it won't be my last. Highly recommended!

Julee J. Adams said...

Congrats on a wonderful trip and I am jealous! I'm wondering, since you're working it into fiction, can you deduct part of the trip as research...? Just asking because it looks like we might make Vegas again this year.

Yeah, "The Bridesmaids" was hilarious, wasn't it?

Even though you had fun, know you're glad to be home.

S.M. Carrière said...

Sounds like a lovely weekend! I'm so glad that you had fun!

Pam Asberry said...

Interesting, Julee, but I think I should probably wait until I am making some money from my writing before I start taking the big tax deductions - LOL! And yes, I love to travel, but I am always happy to be back home again.

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, S.M., I really needed a weekend away!

Anonymous said...

Again (PAM PAM) you are truly marvelous the way you traverse this crazy world and seem to make every corner of it your own. Your cheery attitude and sunny disposition your locomotion and grace.

D.O.

Anonymous said...

PAM PAM I wonder if that shortcake is as sweet as you.

B Snow said...

Glad it all went well. Looks like you had a great time!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, B. I did!