Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Writing and Editing


Nathan Bransford holds the key.

I am beyond tired. I have managed only five or six hours of sleep the past several nights, and my days have been unusually busy and chaotic. This evening it all finally caught up with me; those last couple of piano lessons were hard to teach, and I am nodding off over my laptop as I try to write. So I'm going to make this brief. But I absolutely had to share some links with you before I drift off into la-la land.

The first one was waiting for me on Twitter this morning: How I Edit by Nathan Bransford. Since I am hard at work on the revision of my novel - over 1000 words today - I hoped this would be useful to me, and I was not disappointed. I especially appreciated the revision checklist he linked to from a 2009 blog post.

A little more sleuthing led me to his post from yesterday, How I Write. This was also excellent; I might write a similar article based on my own writing process. But for me, the best part of this article was the link to a previous post explaining the meaning of the phrase high concept. I have read those words a thousand times times but I really couldn't wrap my brain around their meaning. Until now.

Turns out the man has a book coming out on May 12th; obviously, he is doing a lot of things right. Click HERE to see the trailer. This is a must-read for me, even though it is a far cry from my typical choice. Do you feel the same way?

And there you have it. I hope you benefit as much from Nathan Bransford's wisdom as I did.

6 comments:

EEV said...

Pam, I loved the links, and thank you very much for sharing your precious time - you're one of a kind. I'm sending good thoughts to you, hoping you get everything straight :)

- EEV

Pk Hrezo said...

Hey Pam! Yes I read this post yesterday and saved the checklist since I'm now on revisions myself. It pretty much covers everything IMO.

Nice to meet you! :)

S.M. Carrière said...

Thanks for the links! I'm going to need them!

Melissa Marsh said...

Off to check out your links now. Nathan has done SO much for the writing world. He's a true fountain of knowledge!

Brandileigh2003 (Blkosiner's Book Blog) said...

Nathan has some wonderful posts! Glad they helped, and get you some sleep.
Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Pam Asberry said...

Glad you all benefitted from Nathan's wisdom. And he's cute, too! ;-)