Sunday, June 19, 2011

Back in Funkytown

You don't have to control your thoughts; you just have to stop letting them control you.
~ Dan Millman

Overwhelmed by the demands of work, parenting and my own self-imposed deadlines, and exhausted from several weekends in a row of travel and music recitals, I found myself totally depleted by the end of last week. I allowed myself to take a break on Friday and felt further rejuvenated after spending time with Georgia Romance Writers, Kelly Stone, and my blog sisters yesterday. Today, finally, I began to pull myself out of the slump I was in.

It happens so fast.

An orderly home does wonders for the spirits, so I started with that. I cleaned up the kitchen and mopped the floor; I sorted the laundry and did a couple of loads; I dusted and vacuumed. Then I posted to Writers Li.P.P., got some packages ready to take to the post office, and wrote my to-do list for next week. By then I felt collected enough to get back to work on my novel revision. With 60,000 words left to go, I had to admit that my June 30th deadline was completely unrealistic. So I decided to extend my deadline to July 15th; that's 2,222 words a day between now and then. I wrote 2,367 words this afternoon so I am off to a solid start.

I am especially proud of meeting my word count goal today because it was brand new work - a couple of challenging scenes that weren't in the previous version. I had been dreading them and missed several days of writing as a result. It feels great to have them behind me.

Now I am ready to curl up with a cup of mint tea and a sweet romance. I will leave you with this video. Because what seems obvious to you might be amazing to others.

11 comments:

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Fantastic job on the writing--and you have a clean house, too? I don't know how you do it!

And thanks for the video. What a great shot in the arm!

~Debbie

Julee J. Adams said...

Glad you got the tough scenes behind you--the rest should be a lot easier. It's easy to put too much on the plate. It's okay to be realistic and be sure to work in down time for Pam!

KendallGrey said...

Wow, you make me feel like a total slacker! Kudos to you on getting so much done - especially the writing. That's fantastic! Keep plugging along, and you are sure to meet your new goal. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Debbie, to say I have a "clean house" is definitely overstating the situation. But at least my kitchen is clean, the laundry piles are getting smaller, and the carpet is no longer hidden under a two-inch layer of dog hair. Yes, it was really that bad! I love the video, too. I'm going to watch it every day! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

You are right, Julee. I'm still trying to figure out how to get back to the beach for a long weekend...

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kendall. Kelly Stone's message on Saturday reminded me to be realistic about my goals. It's a never ending process, but I am going to hang tough!

alberta ross said...

ah a clean home! not good at that although maybe its something in the air because I have cast a disaproving eye over my abode since my holiday and have started attacking small corners each day - I can dream - I can dream!!

well done on the writing front and nice little video - I'm always amazed when people say 'how did you think of that?' to me - so obvious I think - now I know - thanks

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Alberta. I think you hit the nail on the head; if I do a little bit of housekeeping every day, the place doesn't get completely out of control like it was! I still have a long way to go, but my goal is to declutter and deep clean every nook and cranny by summer's end. But I'm not going to let the housework get in the way of the writing; right now, that's the most important thing! Glad you enjoyed the video; thanks for stopping by!

SAIDFRAZ said...

thank you, thank you, thank you!

Pam Asberry said...

You're welcome, you're welcome, you're welcome! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Holy achievement, Batman! You ought to be very proud of yourself. Also, that little clip was an incredible find!