Saturday, June 4, 2011

Beach Weekend

My view from the balcony

I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. 

Prompt #5: Travel by Chris Guillebeau

If we live truly, we shall see truly. 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Not everyone wants to travel the world , but most people can identify at least one place in the world they'd like to visit before they die. Where is that place for you, and what will you do to make sure you get there?
(Author: Chris Guillebeau)

This blog post comes from Destin, Florida. There is nothing like a weekend at the beach when you need to get away from it all and rest and relax deeply. Where your biggest decision is where to eat dinner and your biggest responsibility is reapplying sunscreen at regular intervals. I am very grateful to be here.

I love to travel. And there are many, many places I want to visit before it's all over. Right now I have an intense craving to go to France. I studied French for four years in high school, and was almost fluent in the language by the time I got to college. If I had it to over again, I would find a way to spend a year in France, studying piano and immersing myself in French culture. Since all I have is today, I intend to do a systematic review of grammar and vocabulary (I have already bought a couple of workbooks for that purpose), then seek out a tutor to work with, perhaps weekly, and eventually spend a week or two (or a summer) in France, maybe doing research for a novel. My fifteen year old is studying French in high school; perhaps we can travel together, maybe during the summer after he graduates from college. 

I haven't figured out all the details, but this prompt has definitely been a catalyst for change to help me take actions today that will eventually land me in France. Paris, here I come! 

4 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

There is a great online learning community at:

http://www.livemocha.com

They offer all sorts of lessons in various languages, and you can meet up and converse with native speakers who are there to help out.

Take care, though, I've gotten a number of spam "love requests" there!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for the info, S.M.; that sounds like a great website! I will check it out asap!

Julee J. Adams said...

It's a plan! I have Greece (I remember Latin with Mr. Lucas), Italy, France, England, Ireland, Scotland, Russia, Japan and about a dozen other countries, besides the 22 states I haven't been to.

BTW, I don't know why, but one of my heroes is a member of the French royal family. I did some research and it leads to a pretty fun plot twist. I will count you as an expert, next time I have a question on French. I'm so glad you're traveling and checking things off your list! Keep us updated, please.

Pam Asberry said...

It all sounds great, Julee; Ireland is #2 on my list. Although if someone offered to take me to Italy, Greece and Spain, I certainly would not refuse! Yes, I remember Latin with Mr. Lucas: Vestus verum facit. And anytime you need help with French, I will do the best I can. :-)