Thursday, June 9, 2011

Burning Desire

I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. 


Prompt #9: Your Personal Message by Eric Handler
To believe your own thought, to believe that what is true for you in your private heart is true for all men, that is genius.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson
What is burning deep inside of you? If you could spread your personal message RIGHT NOW to 1 million people, what would you say?
(Author: Eric Handler)


What is burning deep inside of me right now is an urgent desire to do the work I believe I was put here on earth to do. I often describe my life as a three-cornered stool; the legs which support it are piano teaching, jewelry design, and writing.

I have a long way to go before I achieve my goals in each of these areas - much to learn and years of hard work ahead. But I am convinced that, in the end, all that hard work will pay off and I will meet with the success I crave.

Not only that, I have an urgent desire to encourage others to pursue their dreams, if only by sharing my journey on the pages of this blog. Life is short; let's live it loud! 

One of the resources recommended to me recently is Eat That Frog! 21 Ways to Stop Procrastinating and Get More Done in Less Time by Brian Tracy (click HERE; also available as a Kindle download). I am finding it very thought-provoking; maybe it will be useful to you, too. I try to squeeze a lot out of every day, but like most people, I struggle with distractions - such as email and social networking - that keep me very busy but don't necessarily lead me to the results I am seeking; and with my ambitious schedule, I cannot afford to waste a minute.

Here is a short video in which Mr. Tracy shares a little bit about his background and some of the ideas presented in the book. 



As explained in the video, this is the basic premise:

Mark Twain once said that if the first thing you do each morning is to eat a live frog, you can go through the day with the satisfaction of knowing that that is probably the WORST thing that is going to happen to you all day long. Your "frog" is your biggest, most important task, the one you are most likely to procrastinate on if you don't do something about it. It is also the one task that can have the greatest positive impact on your life and results at the moment.
~Brian Tracy

So here's a challenge for you: every morning for the next thirty days, when you make your daily to-do list (you do make a daily to-do list, right?) circle the "frog" and then do that item first. That alone will make a huge difference in your productivity.

Mr. Tracy then goes on to explain how to develop the habits of success that will help you reach your goals, emphasizing the importance of actually WRITING THEM DOWN on paper. He suggests making a list of ten goals that you want to accomplish in the next year, stating them as though the year is already past and your goals have become reality, then reviewing the list and selecting the one goal that would have the biggest impact on your life if achieved. Finally, he recommends writing that goal down, setting a deadline, making a plan, taking some immediate action on the plan, and then doing something every single day to move yourself toward that goal. He says this exercise alone could change your life.

Go ahead! Grab a sheet of paper and give it a whirl. You've got nothing to lose and everything to gain. I'll share what I come up with tomorrow.

10 comments:

AllMyPosts said...

The idea of doing the most important thing first is cool!! but naming this technique as "Eat the Frog" is kinda bold!!

Thanks for sharing!!

with warm regards
Another Author

Nicki Salcedo said...

I will try it tomorrow. Thanks.

Julee J. Adams said...

I LOVED "Eat That Frog"! We watched it and used it when we designed presentations for a time management class for the BMV. Thanks for reminding me and making me smile.
I've been ill enough lately, that I've gotten away from the compulsive list making that has sustained me for the past ten years, since Dad fell ill. I promise to Get To Work, too, okay?

Anonymous said...

What if all you do is eat frogs? What then?

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Author - bold but memorable. Good luck!

Pam Asberry said...

It's really a great exercise, Nicki. Thanks for stopping by!

Pam Asberry said...

Sometimes our bodies force us to get off the roller coaster for a while. The work will be waiting for you when you are feeling better. TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF!

Pam Asberry said...

I believe if you do nothing but eat your frogs every day, your wildest dreams will come true. Try it, Anonymous.

pat said...

OK, you inspired me to take on the "eat a frog" idea today. Procrastination is my middle name and I want a new one.
So I didn't just eat a frog today...I ate a big fat, friggen toad that was 2 months old. GULP
I felt SO SO much better afterwards. BURP
thanks, Pam

Pam Asberry said...

Well done, Pat. I agree - it's time for a new middle name. Glad you are feeling better!