Monday, June 6, 2011

Don't put it off. Live today.

I am home from the beach. The weekend went by much too fast, but we made the most of the time we had. We dined on delicious seafood, spent an afternoon lying on the beach, and visited the Donna Burgess Gallery.


Florida artist Donna Burgess with some of her work

I couldn't decide between two prints, so my friend bought them both and will ship them to me. I can hardly wait to receive them, have them framed, and hang them in my home, where they will provide constant reminders of a refreshing, inspiring time. 

* * *

I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. 

Prompt #6: Come Alive by Jonathan Mead

Life wastes itself while we are preparing to live. 
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

If you had one week left to live, would you still be doing what you're doing now? In what areas of your life are you preparing to live? Take them off your To Do list and add them to a To Stop list. Resolve to only do what makes you come alive.
Bonus: How can your goals improve the present and not keep you in a perpetual "always something better" spiral?
(Author: Jonathan Mead)

I can honestly say that I am doing exactly what I want to do, every day of my life. I am not preparing to live; I am taking advantage of every opportunity that come my way - recent trips included - and choosing to spend my time engaged in pursuits that lead me closer every day to fulfilling my dreams.

I will admit that if I found out I had only one week left to live, I might indulge in a few extravagances. I would round up a group of friends and take them to Fusion for a grand sushi feast, spend an afternoon with my sister-in-law at the spa, make the drive to southern Illinois and visit my mom and dad. Mostly I would spend every waking hour connecting with all the people I love, either in person or over the phone. 

The fact is we are required to earn a living, wash the dishes, do the laundry - activities we might forego if we learned that our time left on earth was truly limited. But they don't have to be dreaded tasks; we can embrace those everyday chores while making our loved ones our priority.

* * *

I rewrote the synopsis and polished up the first three chapters of my manuscript for entry into the Maggie contest. Tomorrow I will get back to work on the revision of the remainder of that manuscript; to complete it by the end of the month, I need to write approximately 2,500 words a day, my new goal for #RWA80. I think I can.

12 comments:

alberta ross said...

if it was just me left to live I would still write but if all of us were going there wouldn't be much point!!!
I might spend a lot of time on the phone chatting to far flung friends - cooking for near flung friends - talking
all the best with this weeks goals

Anonymous said...

Assuming this is not an end-0-world event, I'd pass down my works to a trusted associate, make peace with my lord,(OK you probably think David Koresh), format some hard drives, use all my remaining money to fund my website hosting as far into the future as possible, start a list of who deserves an instrument from me, plan a 1999 type party, loud loud LOUD music, insane sex, and of course, holding with my upbringing - FIREWORKS! I would go to Oak Ridge and ring the Hiroshima Bell till my hands bleed. Tell my friends and fam I love em, turn my turtle on his back and face my maker.

Melissa Marsh said...

I'd spend as much time with my family as possible, take a trip if I could, and try not to sleep the entire time!

Pam Asberry said...

Good point about the writing, Alberta - lol!

Pam Asberry said...

Sounds like a plan, Anonymous - living loud all the way to the end. Start now!

Pam Asberry said...

All good stuff, Melissa? But I'm curious: where would you go on your trip?

Julee J. Adams said...

Just listened to "Live Like We're Dying" by Kris Allen and "Live Like You Were Dying" by Tim McGraw on my computer MP3 files.

Love the artwork! And I agree, enjoy the peace and accomplishment of doing even the simplest chores.

If I knew I were not going to be of this mortal plane much longer, you might get a box of my notes and a piece of needlework to remember me by! Next time you're in Southern Illinois, please let me know and I'll buy you a drink as we share a meal.

I'm off to take the trash out and do some dishes, before I finish editing Thursday on my mss. Enjoy!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I would cherish that box of notes and piece of needlework. And I will take you up on that offer of a drink. It has been too long since we have shared a meal! Good luck on the writing tonight. I won't be far behind you!

pat said...

I would sky dive and climb a mountain. Finally, I would gather the most loved, trusted, giving people in my life, fly them in a helicopter to a glorious campsite in the Grand Canyon, and by the light of a campfire, under a full moon and the Milky Way, we would drink like fishes and tell wonderful stories about one another.

Pam Asberry said...

Pat, that sounds like a wonderful plan. I want to be at the Grand Canyon with you!

pat said...

You'd be there

Pam Asberry said...

Yay!