Friday, June 17, 2011

Fruitful Idleness


I am pretty good in a crisis, but I fall apart when it's over. So although I dealt with yesterday's pandemonium pretty well, it took me all day to recover.

At Friday Show and Tell on Writers Li.P.P., I shared my plans for the day. But I didn't work from a list. I simply followed the whisperings of my heart. I wrote. I knitted. I watched Betty White on David Letterman and Sarah Ferguson on Oprah. I ate barbecued potato chips and a chocolate fudgesicle. I took a late afternoon nap in the lounge chair on my deck.

I tried not to think. Because both my body AND my mind needed a break.

Now the day is nearly over, and I am feeling a bit more rested and a lot more centered than I did this time yesterday. I am looking forward to getting up early and starting the morning in a thoughtful way - with meditation, morning pages, and a review of the day's schedule - then putting on my Writers Li.P.P. t-shirt and my hot pink suede shoes and stepping out to the monthly meeting of Georgia Romance Writers and having lunch with my Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blog sisters afterwards.

Then I'll be ready to get back to work.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Pam, uh hunh, you are strong, you are first a Mom and second a big thinker. We are all given the strength to do what we need to do. Yes, maybe we fall apart after it's all over, when we look back at bizarre turns of events, in what life has handed us in such a random way. But, real strength lies in responding when we are needed. Like soldiers in battle who do courageous actions beyond what would be expected of them, beyond their character. It's in all of us. You earned that fudgesicle. Blessings - your secret admirer.

Christine said...

Hey Pam: You are smart to listen to your body and mind and rest after a crisis. I hope that your meeting at the GRWA will inspire you and bring you happiness.

Lots of hugs!

Julee J. Adams said...

Yes, you do deserve the fudgesicle as I deserved the dozen dark chocolate peanut M&Ms I just had. You remember what happens when you over extend yourself? Rest is A Good Thing.
I sure do wish my "local" chapter of RWA was less than a three hour drive away! Enjoy and post, please. Take care of yourself, too. You're much too important to crash and burn.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Anonymous. Guess I'll just keep soldiering on.

Pam Asberry said...

Christine, the GRW meeting did wonders for my spirits. Details soon!

Pam Asberry said...

Dark chocolate peanut M&M's? I didn't know such things existed! As I told Christine, a full report of the GRW meeting is coming soon. Then I'm off to bed!