Saturday, June 18, 2011

Georgia Romance Writers/Author Kelly L. Stone

Just when I am about to throw in the towel with my writing, it is time for another meeting of Georgia Romance Writers and I get inspired all over again.

Today was a perfect example. I reconnected with good friends, like Atalie.


Atalie was one of those lovely women who made me feel super welcome when I was a newbie to GRW. She was also my very first Etsy customer. She has been dealing with some pretty serious health issues so I haven't seen much of her lately, so I was especially happy to be able to give her a hug this morning.

Visitors were introduced, then it was time for good news. My friend and PFHT blog sister Susan Carlisle was recognized for signing a two-book deal with Harlequin. Congratulations, Susan! 

Susan Carlisle with GRW president Nicki Salcedo

Then it was time for our featured speaker Kelly L. Stone. Author of the Time to Write series, Kelly has the best ideas for helping writers keep motivation high and deal with the inevitable interruptions that life throws our way. Today she talked about the thought, feeling and behavior cycle, explaining that we may not be able to control our thoughts and feelings, but we CAN control our actions. So it is important to set specific writing goals for ourselves, and then make sure that our actions are in line with those goals regardless of how we might be feeling. Makes perfect sense, right? She concluded her presentation with a guided meditation. The message I got loud and clear was "Do the work." More on that tomorrow.

 Pam Asberry with Kelly L. Stone

Several of GRW's own were available to sign books at the conclusion of the meeting.



Then it was time to head over to Ted's Montana Grill for lunch with the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales, to celebrate Susan's success.

Susan pours the sparkling grape juice. 

 Susan is gracious and humble. She toasted to all of us!

Lindy and I rocking our new Writers Li.P.P. t-shirts.

When it comes to writing, a little bit of encouragement and support go a long way; Georgia Romance Writers provides megadoses of both. I have never been more enthusiastic and inspired than I am right this minute. Thanks, GRW! And thanks to Lindy Chaffin Start for all the photographs. 

12 comments:

Linsey Lanier said...

Oh, Pam. This was a great day, wasn't it? You brought tears to my eyes, reminding me again of the supportive power of this wonderful organization - and our terrific blog group. I'm also honored to be a part of this. And thrilled for Susan.

Pam Asberry said...

I know exactly what you mean, Linsey. It truly is an honor to be a part of GRW and PFHT, and to know Susan. Things just keep getting better, don't they?

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

GRW is a rich resource that I miss tremendously! Of course, you all know I think Susan is the very best of people. She's a dear friend too. Success couldn't have happened to a nicer person. :)

Thanks for sharing your day, Pam. I got to experience it vicariously.

Marilyn Baron said...

Kelly's talk was great and inspired all of us. And the celebratory lunch for Susan was wonderful. Carol, you were with us in spirit. We did all lament the fact that you weren't there in person. I enjoyed your post and the photos.

Pam Asberry said...

Carol, we missed you, too! I'm already counting the days until M&M; it can't get here soon enough! (((hugs)))

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for stopping by, Marilyn. My memories of the meeting on Saturday will carry me through the tough writing days ahead. See you soon!

Laila Knight said...

Hi Pam, just an FYI. I have been given an irresistibly sweet blog award and have chosen you as one of the five I'm forwarding it to. I'll be posting on Monday so whenever you happen by please help yourself to it. Have a great day!

Missy Tippens said...

Pam, I agree. I always get inspired when I attend meetings! And I really enjoyed Kelly's program.

Congrats again to Susan!!

Carol, we miss you so much.

Lindi said...

Thanks Pam for the great recap. Kelly is a great speaker and I was inspired by her. Thanks also for posting the pics.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Lalia! I am looking forward to receiving my award!

Pam Asberry said...

Missy, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. I am thrilled that we are both a part of such an informative, supportive organization!

Pam Asberry said...

I am glad you enjoyed my post, Lindi! Thank you for visiting my blog!