Thursday, June 16, 2011

Making a list, checking it twice (or more)

Boy, am I tired.


I just attempted to make my MASTER LIST - a list of every item I want to accomplish at some point in the future - and I got stuck. Because the future is going to last a long time - at least I hope it will! - and some of the items I WANT to accomplish feel more like impossible dreams than items for a to-do list. Like everything on my Amazing Life List.

So I decided to start small, by writing a summer to-do list - to be completed by September 30, 2011. It feels good to have created this list. But I feel exhausted because, in a way, it is just the tip of the iceberg, as it does not include the mundane but necessary daily and weekly tasks. Anyway, here it is.

INSIDE
Clean out garage.
Wash/wax/vacuum car.
Declutter house.
Deep clean house.
Shampoo carpets.
Finish painting Nathan's bedroom doors.
Paint my bedroom.
Make pillows for living room.

OUTSIDE
Have siding pressure washed.
Have gutters repaired.
Trim shrubs.
Lay pine straw in natural area.

HEALTH
Annual physical.
Mammogram.
Dental visit.
Bloodwork.

PIANO STUDIO
Organize music.
Have piano tuned.
Organize ensemble materials/paperwork; prepare to pass on to new committee member.
Prepare and mail (or email) back-to-school packet.
Send July invoices.
Send August invoices.

ETSY STORE
Add 5 new items to online shop per week.
Keep up with online marketing course.

WRITING
Finish revision of The Wishing Box.
Query Hilda.
Draft new project.
Write 100,000 words between June 1st and August 31st.
Write short story; submit to Woman's World magazine.
Put together writer resume.

PERSONAL
Complete Firestarter Sessions.
Knit scarf.
Knit hat.
Knit sweater.
Organize journals.
Organize photos.
Organize memorabilis.
Organize grandmother letters.
Travel to visit parents.
Travel to visit Pat.
Travel to beach.

The next step is to incorporate all these items into my daily and monthly lists. Here are the standing items.

DAILY
Meditation.
Morning pages.
Exercise.
Write 500 words.
Read 30 minutes.
Blog.
Create one new item for Etsy store.
List one new item in Etsy store.
Practice piano 30 minutes.

WEEKLY
Do laundry.
Grocery shop.

BIWEEKLY
Clean house.

MONTHLY
Pay bills.
Send student invoices.

Tomorrow morning, I am going to divide the items on my master list between the days, weeks and months that remain until September 30th. My goals may be too ambitious. But it's a sure thing I will get further with them working from a list than I would have otherwise. How are your lists coming along?

8 comments:

Megan said...

It's so nice to know someone else who lives by lists! Somehow they make the conceptual prospect of so many to-dos seem a little less daunting and a little simpler, as if the fact that we can write them down makes them more manageable in and of themselves. Way to go, Pam!

Patrick Thunstrom said...

I really should try making a list. Never really keep to them the few times I try, maybe it'd help me.

AllMyPosts said...

Wow!!

A lot of things to do!! All the best!! Hope you complete all of them and keep on adding something fabulous in your list everyday!!

with warm regards
Another Author

Pam Asberry said...

It's true, Megan, and I love that feeling of satisfaction I get as I check each item off every day. Thanks for the attagirl! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Patrick, Brian Tracy has strong evidence to support the importance of list making to success. If nothing else, the process of making a list helps me to understand what my priorities really are. If you decide to try it, let me know how it goes!

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Abhishek, I have a lot of things to do! I just finished my list for today. And working on my novel revision is at the very top. So now I'm off to eat my frog! :-)

terri.forehand said...

I am a list maker and I really feel more accomplished when I can mark it off the list. I have even wasted time listing things I did just so I can mark them off when I have felt useless and unmotivated especially with my writing. Thanks for sharing. I am glad to have found your blog where someone else tries to do it all like I do.

Warmly,
Terri
http://terri-forehand.blogspot.com

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog, Terri! I see how making lists can be just another means of procrastination, but I think if I get in the habit of monthly, weekly and daily list making I can avoid that. Now I am off to visit your website!