Thursday, June 2, 2011

One Strong Belief


I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself.

Prompt #3: One Strong Belief by Buster Benson

It is easy in the world to live after the world's opinion; it is easy in solitude to live after our own; but the great man is he who in the midst of the crowd keeps with perfect sweetness the independence of solitude.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson, Self-Reliance


The world is powered by passionate people, powerful ideas, and fearless action. What's one strong belief you possess that isn't shared by your closest friends or family? What inspires this belief, and what have you done to actively live it?
(Author: Buster Benson)


I believe that if you have a dream, make bold and declare it, and follow up with dogged determination and hard work, you can make your dream a reality.


This belief propels me out of bed every morning and keeps me putting one foot in front of the other.


Make a wish. Blow all the seeds off the dandelion. Afraid you're asking for too much? You're not. You want what you want and you deserve to have it. You can do it. Imagine yourself exactly where you want to be, doing exactly what you want to be doing, then GET TO WORK.

Recently, a friend told me that a long time ago he made the conscious decision to be "happy," no matter what - and he seems to be, at least on the surface. But that brand of happiness comes with a high price tag; it keeps him stuck. Content with the status quo, his surroundings are familiar and comfortable; he's had the same friends for years, and if he were to make any significant changes, it would pose a a threat to all they hold dear. Consequently, my friend lives in a frustrating prison of his own making.

I refuse become stuck. I want a bigger life. I am going for it.

9 comments:

Linsey Lanier said...

A thought-provoking post, Pam. Daring to make our dreams reality is one tough road, but real happiness is found along the way. Thanks for the encouragement. I needed it. :)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Linsey. Good luck on your journey.

S.M. Carrière said...

I quite like this post. I also have a friend who made a decision to be happy always, but that didn't deter her from pursuing her passions and exploring her horizons - it makes her happy to do so, so she does it. She's never stuck.

I also happen to think that you are awesome, and dogged determination and hard word will get you places!

Go you!

Julee J. Adams said...

And here's your crazy high school buddy in Indiana egging you on, right? After all, who told you first to "get to work"?

I just have to get over this antibiotic brain (minocyclin, this time) and I'll be right behind you, okay?

Go, gurrrllll!

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., it's kind of hard for me to wrap my brain around my friend's philosophy. He made the decision to be happy, i.e. accept whatever situation he was in. That sounds really different from your friend's outlook. Thank you so much for your kind words. I appreciate them more than you know.

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I hope you feel better soon. THIS IS OUR YEAR!!!

Anonymous said...

Yes Pam, I'm happy and people seem to hate me for it. I guess the truth is I'm fat and happy. And, I'm a bit stuck, yes. I want something but I'm scared to go get it. It's like reaching out over a cliff to pick a flower or the dog with a bone seeing his reflection in the pond. This happiness is sometimes bittersweet like now. I'm positive and have a love for life like the blogger and have regrets like today.

Pam Asberry said...

Who hates you for being happy, Anonymous? Certainly not your true friends. But are you TRULY happy? Because it seems to me that your words contradict each other. I'm not sure that debilitating fear and true happiness can coexist. I guess the bottom line is that life is about choices. And the point I was trying to make was that fear can keep you from making the tough choices, can keep you stuck in a life that is less than what you deserve. Good luck to you moving forward.

Anonymous said...

Yes, Blogger, Truly Happy? ... working on it. A work in progress, and if it doesn't get any better than this, I've already won, already lived a better life than I deserved. And yes, true friends do not hate one for being happy but some have disdain, envy, or jealousy. Anything good is owned by 20% of the people; Money, Love, Happiness. You can find it in the art of positive thinking, a super simple formula. An early winter morning in 1970 when making toast in the dark and rushing to the bus, I promised myself I could do it. Like turning on an electrical circuit (in a large way it is just that). Attitude is everything and I wish to be on the left side of the 80/20 rule. I crash like everyone else but, when I feel I'm going to drown, there are these champagne bubbles that coarse around me give me buoyancy and provide mirth. All you have to do is hold on. I believe fear and happiness can coexist, as in - if you have ever snorkeled over a coral reef and watched tiny fish swimming around large fish, if attacked they are only scared for a moment and then forget. That is happiness and fear in a balance no?

And as I said "I have regrets."