Monday, June 20, 2011

Summer Fun, Part 1: Travel Plans


This is the last week of my 2010-2011 academic year piano lesson schedule. As much as I love what I do, I will admit that I am looking forward to a reduced summer teaching load and more time: to write, to catch up on household projects, to simply BE.

But this afternoon one of my moms asked me if I had any travel plans for the summer. Sadly, I confessed that I don't. I would love to book a Caribbean cruise, lie on the beach in Florida, travel up to Mt. Hood for a visit with Pat, spend a few weeks in France.  But travel costs money and I have none. I might be able to swing a trip up to Mt. Carmel, Illinois (population 8000) for Ag Days in August, but that's it. (Don't laugh! My mom and dad live in Mt. Carmel and I haven't seen them since Christmas. Also, my niece and nephew traditionally attend Ag Days and I haven't seen them since their dad's - my brother's - funeral. So I will be positively THRILLED if I make it to Ag Days.)

Anyway, since my travel plans are limited, I am hoping to live vicariously through you. Where are you going on vacation this summer? Where have you always wanted to go but have never been? What can you do to get there?

* * *

It's not to late to pop over to Writers Li.P.P. and comment on my blog post for your chance to win the coolest t-shirt ever. You have until midnight Tuesday - good luck!

14 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

Alas, I too have no money. My summer holidays consisted of three days in Belleville at a Kung Fu workshop.

If I'm really lucky, I might be able to swing three days around Montreal for a wine tour in August. We'll see.

Needless to say, I feel your pain!

Anonymous said...

Money, what's that??? My son thinks it grow's on trees....sure wish it did.

Christine Ashworth said...

Money is thin on the ground. We're going to go camping for six or seven days up in mammoth. At $18 a night, not bad for creeks and huge pine trees and bears...we'll just have to eat on a tight budget - burgers and dogs and such. Our souls definitely need the break.

I hope you do manage to see your family this summer. Everyone needs a break, and it can be done on a budget. You just have to get creative! Good luck!

Pam Asberry said...

S.M., I hope you had a great time over the weekend. And I'll keep my fingers crossed that things work out for you to go to Montreal in August. That sounds lovely!

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, Anonymous! Thanks for stopping by!

Pam Asberry said...

Sounds like a great vacation, Christine. Maybe it's time for me to start thinking outside the box. Thank you for your good wishes!

Christine said...

Hey Pamela: I'm in college tour/RWA Conference mode. We're driving up to DC to see friends, then I go to NYC for the conference. It'll be fun, but also nerve wracking. i have to pitch twice and I'm NOT ready at all. We're all heading back on the 5th (well hubby is staying behind in AL) with my teen's BFF. BFF is like second daughter to me so we'll enjoy having her here in 'bama. Then she heads back home after a week, and it's just hanging at home with the family.

I often just go and stay with friends for a change of scene. StayVaca can be fun, too. Explore your city, take time for lunch with friends. Schedule fun time!!

Hugs!

KendallGrey said...

I'm taking the kids up to Gloucester, MA for my yearly whale watching fix. I had planned to go to RWA, but none of the workshops interested me. I also planned to go to Australia, but the time when I need to go coincides with the first day of school for my kids, so my plans there got nixed too. It's all good though. I'll be happy in Gloucester for 10 days of whales. :-)

I'm def going back to Australia next August to celebrate my trilogy's release in the place where the story takes place. Poetic justice, don't you think? ;-)

Julee J. Adams said...

It's a plan and I'd love to meet you over in The Big Mt. C, but let's get a specific time and place. Know you want to spend time with family and I do too. My uncle is recovering from a fall (Mike's dad).
Chris is finishing some time off from work, but we didn't have the $$$s to go anywhere. That's okay, we may take another short trip to Louisville later in the year. I'm jealous of those going to RWA national, but please pass on your experiences.
Have a great summer and hope to see you in a couple months!

pat said...

Well, I'm thinkin' if a ton of people made it to Oregon in covered wagons, you and Nathan can too. Who said anything about money?

Pam Asberry said...

Wow, Christine, you have a busy couple of weeks ahead. I really wanted to go to RWA Nationals this year, but I just couldn't swing it. I know you will have a blast and good luck with your pitches! I'm going to try to find the perfect balance between work and play this summer - thanks for all your suggestions!

Pam Asberry said...

Wow, Kendall, a whale watching trip sounds fabulous! I've never done that before but I hope to someday. And then you have Australia to look forward to. You are a lucky lady, indeed! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I am really hoping to get to MC for Ag Days, and there is chatter on Facebook about setting up a MCHS Facebook reunion at some point that weekend. I will keep you posted. Regardless, we MUST get together, even if it's just for coffee or lunch in Evansville when we go through. It has been TOO LONG.

Pam Asberry said...

With the price of gas being what it is, Pat, we might look into travel by covered wagon - LOL!