Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Summer Fun, Part 2: School's Out!

My 23 year old son left home several years ago; the 19 year old still lives with me, but with his work/class schedule and social life, we don't see much of each other. But now that school is out, having the 15 year old around all day every day out is definitely impacting my daily routine.

My blog sister Sally Kilpatrick shared some of the challenges of having very young children underfoot in her very funny post today at Petit Fours and Hot Tamales (click HERE). I remember those days well: the noise, the mess, the work, the worry, the exhaustion.

But even though my children are much older now, I'm still dealing with all of it - especially the worry.  Here is a case in point.

Last week, actress Selena Gomez came to the Mall of Georgia to promote her new movie. Watch this clip from FOX news to find out a little bit about her visit.



Can you believe that kid who tried to rush the stage? Well, here is a slightly different perspective of what happened at the 1:15 mark in that news clip.


"Who is that handsome young man?" I hear you asking. Well. Gulp. That's my boy.

Can you imagine how I felt getting that phone call from the Gwinnett County Police? It was terrifying, I can assure you. Thankfully, no charges were filed - as a matter of fact, Nathan's peers -and a surprising number of adults - are treating him like some kind of hero. He has his own fan page on Facebook; there are even commemorative t-shirts available for purchase. 

I'm almost as concerned about all that as I am about the incident itself. Sigh.

When my children were small, people warned me how quickly the years would pass and admonished me to enjoy every minute. I tried; I really did. But if I had those days to live over, I would relax and enjoy them even more. Because now my big boys are making adult decisions that will affect the course of the rest of their lives and I have little say over any of it. All I have to offer them is the benefit of my experience and, for the most part, they aren't interested in hearing what I have to say. Regardless, I am doing to best I can to enjoy what little time I have left with my young men - to love them even when they make mistakes and to help them pick up the pieces when things go wrong.

A boy becomes an adult three years before his parents think he does and about two years after he thinks he does
~Lewis B. Hershey

I'm going to give my boys a good night hug before I go to sleep tonight. And count the days until school starts again. 

NOTE: It's 47. 

34 comments:

Anonymous said...

So,how did you handle punishment with your son? (if you don't mind me asking) That must have been a "Double Dog Dare" from his friends. Wow!!

Pam Asberry said...

He is basically grounded for the summer - although I did let him go to the pool with some friends yesterday; I figured the exercise would do him good. And I he will not be hanging out at the mall, period. Here's hoping he got this all out of his system!

SAIDFRAZ said...

the way he cleared the security fence, he should be running track, jumping the hurdles!

Pam Asberry said...

Seriously, Sherri, I am making him go out for track in the fall. All that talent needs some direction, right?

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Wow. Don't know what else to say, but wow.

Pam Asberry said...

Carol, I think that says it all. :-/

Lindy Chaffin Start said...

T-shirts? For real? I'm still not impressed from the mom perspective, but the boy has a future in guerilla marketing. -Lindy

Pam Asberry said...

Lindy, they're nice-looking t-shirts. I might even buy one. But don't tell Nathan. ;-)

Anonymous said...

Pam, buy the t-shirt to have and show Nathan's kids one day.:):)

Pam Asberry said...

Brilliant, Anonymous! Thanks for the suggestion!

Carol Kilgore said...

I think you're coping miraculously well.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Carol. I'm doing the best I can! :-)

Sally Kilpatrick said...

I think I'll take those multicolored footprints every day of the week and twice on Sunday! (Of course, we are currently engaged in an epic battle of wills these days) I don't have words. Since my 9yo has a crush on Selena, I think I'll keep him home, too!

leslie tentler said...

LOL, so now I know a celebrity's mom!

Christine said...

Wow! That was a heck of a run!! He should try out for track, but I can only imagine how horrified you were when you got the call from the police. I can sort of relate: mine almost mowed down an officer after going around a barricade set up by the cop car because she was a newbie driver and had no idea what to do (something we didn't encounter in our lessons). Cop called, we came out, she was hysterical. She could have lost her license! But the cop was nice (and sounds like your cops understood that this was a kid who just got a little wild and deserved a break). He realized she'd only ad her license for 3 months, gave her a STERN talking to, sent her home with us (after we'd had a TY groveling on the ground moment).

That phone call was pretty scary. But she got through it. We did. And you all will, too. Just thank god he had people who were human about their reaction to his prank.

And definitely buy the shirt and harass him with it when he becomes a dad!!

Hugs!

Pam Asberry said...

Sally, I think you are wise to keep your 9yo at home; apparently the words Nathan screamed towards the stage as the security guards took him down were, "Selena, will you marry me?"

Pam Asberry said...

I suppose so, Leslie; I think it's pretty sad that Nathan has about three times as many "Likes" on his Facebook fan page as I do!

Pam Asberry said...

Your poor daughter, Christine! That was an honest mistake; this was premeditated nonsense! But you are right; my son didn't mean any harm, so I'm glad the consequences weren't any worse for him. But next time he might not be so lucky. So here's hoping there won't be a next time!

Anonymous said...

I thought it was cuul. Member when that big dude like wrapped his arm around his head like a rag doll?

Anonymous said...

Hey Pam,
Sorry so late getting over here today. I agree -- hurdles are Nathan's thing. Amazing jump. I showed my son and his friend visitng from Maryland, they both want to meet him. More fans!
Your a great Mom. Every child has their ups & downs. I'm not sure which this stunt qualifies for.
Thanks for sharing.

Sia Huff

Pam Asberry said...

Oh, yes, Anonymous; how can I ever forget?

Pam Asberry said...

Well, Sia, how long will your son's friend be here? I would be happy to arrange an interview... ;-) Thank you so much for stopping by and commenting! :-)

Anonymous said...

Pam,
We all have moments that we are not proud of-impuse moments. This will be his 15 minutes of fame and it will be gone. He didn't steal a car, get catch with drugs, or has a girl pregant. You are doing well as a mother.

Susan Carlisle

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Susan. You are absolutely right; it could have been worse. Thanks for your kind words.

Marilyn Baron said...

Pam,

What a great post. I know I should be thinking about all the negatives of what happened, but wow, can he run. You definitely have to take him out for track! I thought I saw him mouth, "One, Two, Three, Go!" before he broke out of the starting gate.I love the music they put with the clip and loved the Marry Me, Selena T-shirts. I never really knew anything about Selena Gomez before this post but he was probably sincere about wanting to see her. After all, the kids had to wait out in the sun all that time. He has a future as an Olympian or a Marketing guru, at least.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Marilyn! I hadn't heard of Selena Gomez until this incident myself. But I guarantee you I will never, ever forget her!

Tami Brothers said...

Oh man! That is an awesome jump. Watch out in case he starts free running. That is getting huge around here. And we are in a much smaller town than you are...

I showed my son, he loved it. Of course, thought it was cool. Even showed it to his friends. Definitely becoming celebrity status...grin...

You are coping well. I am positive you will laugh about this in about ten years. Just prepare yourself. If he is willing to go to that length for a girl he doesn't know (albeit famous), just imagine how far he'll go to tell a girl he loves her when he really does. OR ask her to marry him. Can't wait to read that post! Hopefully, in about ten years when you are just getting to the point of laughing about this one.

Rock on, mom!!!!

Tami ;-)

Nathan said...

l o l. You guys should all buy a T-shirt, I get $7 per every one purchased which will go towards my college/car fund. What I was saying was slightly more explicit than a count off but close enough. It was not a dare. I didn't do it for the power of love either as I knew little of her as well...

Pam Asberry said...

Tami, my son denies having any genuine feeling for Selena Gomez. But clearly he is a passionate man. So I imagine someday he will fall, and fall hard. And who knows how he will choose to express it?

Pam Asberry said...

Whatever you say, Nathan... ;-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Holy mackerel! You must have had a heart attack! Goodness. I don't know that I would have handled it quite so gracefully as you have!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. At first I think I was in shock. By the time that wore off, I had managed to find a sense of humor about it. I'm just hoping that's the most exciting thing that happens around here this summer!

Julee J. Adams said...

OMG!!!!
Nathan, I hope the stunt was worth it. Getting all the overflow from the Bieber crowd (Gomez is supposidly Justin Bieber's girlfriend and has gotten death threats), eh?
Listen to your mama. While it could have been so much worse (can you say arrest record?), it sounds as if you're at least getting something out of the stunt. You know, you'll never live this down.
Pam--I don't know what to say, not having kids of my own, but I think you're handling this very well. OMG!!!

Pam Asberry said...

OMG is right, Julee! Thank you for backing me up - it really does take a village these days - and thank you for your vote of confidence. OMG! ;-)