Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Summer Fun, Part 3: Summertime Treats

There's nothing like the fresh produce of summer. Tomatoes and sweet corn. Peaches and watermelon. Garden lettuce and green beans. Strawberries and limes.

Put strawberries and limes together, and what have you got? Strawberry limeade, right? Well, until my friend Sherri, blogger at From the S in Saidfraz, waxed eloquent about this Sonic concoction, I had never even heard of a strawberry limeade. Sherri has never steered me wrong, so as I drove past Sonic on my way home from the post office yesterday afternoon, I couldn't resist taking advantage of their Happy Hour Special - all drinks half price 2-5PM - and finding out what all the fuss was about.


To say I was not disappointed is the understatement of the season. So just in case I'm not the LAST person on the planet to know about this delectable libation - the perfect combination of sweet and sour - I thought I would share it with you, my loyal readers.

* * *

Then I found a recipe, in case you want to try making your own.

STRAWBERRY LIMEADE

1/2 cup fresh lime juice
2 cups cold water
1/4 cup white sugar
1 1/2 cups frozen sliced strawberries
5 ice cubes

Place lime juice, cold water, sugar and strawberries in blender and blend on high until smooth. While blender is running, add ice cubes, one at a time.

I am going to try this soon, substituting stevia for the sugar for a lower-calorie treat. I will let you know how it goes.

* * *

And while I was searching for strawberry recipes, I came upon this one for Strawberry Tiramisu Trifle. I have always wanted a trifle bowl. Now I have the perfect excuse to buy one.

STRAWBERRY TIRAMISU TRIFLE

1 quart fresh strawberries
1 1/4 cups cold milk
1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
4 tablespoons strong brewed coffee, room temperature, divided
2 cups whipped topping
1 package (3 ounces) ladyfingers, split
6 ounces grated chocolate

Slice strawberries, setting aside three for garnish. In a bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft set. In a large bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth; gradually beat in 2 tablespoons coffee. Beat in pudding. Fold in whipped topping.

Brush remaining coffee over ladyfingers. Line the bottom of a 3-quart trifle bowl with half of the ladyfingers. Top with half of the sliced berries, grated chocolate and pudding mixture; repeat layers. Cut reserved berries in half; place on trifle. Cover and refrigerate 4 hours or overnight.

* * *

Clearly, I live a too-sheltered life. What else am I missing out on? What are your favorite summertime treats?


8 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Yum! I love the blue coconut drink Sonic has, but my body does not digest the blue or green dye very well. Any more would be TMI! Their ice rocks, too. You can buy a bag for like $3 at the one here.

I got some beautiful nectarines tonight at the store. I'm also fond of the dark chocolate/almond butter on some fresh pears. Unfortunately, corn is one of my food allergies too, but I can occasionally eat it. I can easily make myself sick on corn on the cob or fresh bing cherries.

I remember Dad used to get really good watermellons and slice them to eat, but Chris doesn't like it, so I have to get pieces or the small ones for myself.
Enjoy!!!!

Charlee said...

I have Pear and Apple tress in my garden and I need to go collecting soon, I love this tiem of year for fruit and home grown is the best!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I'll have to try to the blue coconut drink at Sonic. And everything else you mentioned has my mouth watering! Nathan is allergic to many fruits, but Casey and I could live on fruits and veggies. This is definitely the time of year to do it!

Pam Asberry said...

Charlee, I am envious of your fruit trees! I am curious: do you preserve your pears and apples - can them or dry them - or just use them fresh?

Tami Brothers said...

Oh man! LOVE THESE. I discovered them when I was trying to eat light while hubby and the kid were getting ice cream. They do have a diet offering (I think in cherry) that is about 5 or 10 calories...

Awesome!!!

Tami

Anonymous said...

Vodka goes well with these too...oops, am I allowed to say that?

Pam Asberry said...

I can't imagine the light version would be nearly as satisfying, Tami. I don't like the aftertaste of diet drinks. But when I try the recipe I am going to substitute stevia for sugar. I will let you know how it goes!

Pam Asberry said...

I can see how vodka would be a lovely addition to the strawberry limeade, Anonymous. And yes, you are allowed to say that!