Thursday, June 23, 2011

Summer Fun, Part 4: Last Day of Piano Lessons

As a teacher, I sometimes think in terms of school years instead of calendar years; today was the last day of my academic year 2010-2011. A few of my students gave me end-of-year gifts this week; it was kind of like Christmas in June.

I received an Amazon gift card,

a bouquet of flowers arranged by an eight-year old girl,


and a bag containing several of my ultimate favorite things, as well as a couple of the giver's ultimate favorite things, which I just might consider adding to my list.


Notice the beautiful card to the right of all the goodies, signed by my two students as well as their mother, who also wrote me one of the most beautiful notes I have ever received. It turns out this woman reads my blog regularly - how else would she know about my ultimate favorite things? - and finds it personally inspiring. She thanked me for my work with her children as well as for writing this blog, and wished me the best of success as an author, as well. It was all I could do not to cry. Since children aren't usually comfortable with tears, even happy ones, I smiled and gave hugs all around instead. But I was deeply moved.

The card is sitting on top of my writing desk now; when I am having a rough day, feeling overwhelmed and discouraged, or simply having trouble tracking down my muses, I will pick it up and savor those encouraging words once again.

It is always good to touch base with my students after the recital is over, to congratulate them on a job well done, and to remind them to sit down and play for a few minutes at least two or three times a week over summer vacation. Music is like math, I say. If you don't use it, you will forget. Hopefully at least a few of them will heed my advice.

Everybody gets a break until after July 4th; just a handful of students are opting for lessons during the month of July. But we will hit it hard again after school resumes in August. Then it will be time for another batch of New Year's Resolutions. A fresh start. A new beginning.

* * *

It's Friday Show and Tell at Writers Li.P.P. I hope you'll stop by and see what Lindy and I have to share with you!

6 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

How touching! It must be wonderful to receive cards like that. Of course you deserve it!

Julee J. Adams said...

Very nice! I felt the same way when I was teaching and someone would bring back a card, some dark chocolate (I noticed the Lindt!) or a purple feather pen.

Speaking of purple and nice, I got the earrings today and they're lovely--thanks and will check over to your other blog in a bit. Enjoy the time off.

leslie tentler said...

My mom was a schoolteacher, and I still remember the excitement that I had over her last day of school each year. She'd come home with the car literally packed with goodies - lots of candy, candles, flowers, ornaments. It was like Christmas in June. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. It all really meant a lot to me! What a great way to end the year!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, the Lindt dark chocolate truffles were one of the parent's favorite things - great choice, right? Glad you like your earrings and thank you for visiting Writers LiPP today. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Leslie, I have received a lot of trinkets over the years, and I truly appreciate every gift I receive. I still have Christmas ornaments given to me by some of my very first piano students, almost thirty years ago. They are very precious to me!