Saturday, June 25, 2011

Summer Fun, Part 5: Summer Projects

Today we cleaned out the garage.

This is what it looked like before we started.




I hear what you're thinking: HOARDERS. Ahem.

I'm not going to do much in the way of making excuses, other than to say that I have had a lot of people working against me in this venue. For example, I am storing furniture and personal belongings for my firstborn and still sorting through items left behind by my ex-fiance and his children. Today, however, I wrangled the assistance of said firstborn and my youngest. This is what it looked like after we got finished.

 My car is parked in the garage! What a concept!

 I have yet to organize the items on the tool bench and the steel shelves. But at least I know what those items are. I want to have the antique chair on the right reupholstered, and am trying to figure out a better way to store the other one as well as the leather desk chair that belongs to my oldest son.

The above items are for sale: a piano bench, a copy machine, a love seat, and a Wave Master.
 I also have an entire unused gallon of purple paint. Interested?
The lawn mower will live in this part of the garage again after these things are gone.

We threw away gallons of trash, hauled an entire carload to Goodwill, and set a couple of pieces of particle board furniture curbside for pickup. We also cleaned out the back room, which you cannot see.

What a great way to start my summer vacation - by tackling a project I could have easily dreaded for the entire summer and beyond.

Yep - today I ate the biggest, ugliest frog I could find. Tomorrow I'm going to take some time to play.

16 comments:

Lindy Chaffin Start said...

Hi Love! Congratulations! Hard work does pay off. Nice to see the car actually parked in the garage. Too funny! I wasn't thinking hoarders at all, I was thinking...boys. All said, how much do you want for the punching bag? I need an outlet! Can't wait until playtime. - Lindy

Anonymous said...

Good job. Unfortuntely, my garage looks the same....as the "before" picture.....pat yourself on the back.

Pam Asberry said...

To be honest, the car was parked in the car before we started working - did you notice all the empty space in the last "before" picture? - but it was literally dangerous to walk from the car into the house. Much better now! Nathan is in charge of selling the odds and ends; I will ask him about the Wave Master!

Pam Asberry said...

Well, Anonymous, it took me more than two years to finally get around to this project, but now that it is basically done, I wish I had gone for it much, much sooner! So I encourage you to eat that frog!

Anonymous said...

I just finished this same project. Still have about 5 items left. I did get my car in the garage, too. It's a wonderful feeling when it's all done. Also, I no longer have that feeling of chaos versus calm. Enjoy!
Pete

Pam Asberry said...

I know what you mean, Pete; this project has been weighing on me for a long time. I feel better about EVERYTHING now that there is some order in there. We can both breathe easier now! :-)

Kathy said...

Hey Pam! Congrats! Funny you just did that, because that is what we are doing today; that and the basement. Probably won't get it all done this weekend, though. But, we will make a huge dent. I had to finish up Jessica's floor this morning. Gonna go make some zucchini bread, then hit the garage. Watch for pics on FB!

Pam Asberry said...

I will look forward to those pics, Kathy! And I'll be right over for some zucchini bread - yum!

Libby said...

Garages are havens for just stuff. :)
Also, I have tagged you in a game of blog tag should you wish to play. :)

SAIDFRAZ said...

Great job! Doesn't it feel good to have that job behind you? Feel free now to bring your cleaning crew over to my garage ... any time is good!

Pam Asberry said...

You are right, Libby. But at this point once my son's stuff is gone all that will be left is gardening implements, hand tools, two bicycles, and six large plastic bins containing school and tax records. That's a great feeling! Blog tag, you say? Count me in!

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Sherri! It feels wunnerful! I don't know that I can convince the boys to tackle another garage. But I will come over and help you. Honest!

Tami Brothers said...

Looks good, Pam. I know how much work that really is. I used to wonder how people on TV or in books would use something like that as a punishment. But after having cleaned out our garage a few months ago, I'm just waiting for The Kid to really mess up......

Good luck with getting rid of the other stuff.

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

Tami, I plan to give away whatever we can't sell. I've giving my son two weeks to try, and then it's all OUTTA HERE!

S.M. Carrière said...

Oh wow! Go you! I'm too afraid to even tackle my bedroom!

Pam Asberry said...

My bedroom is next, S.M. I'm dreading the closet most of all!