Monday, June 27, 2011

Who are your friends?

Pam and Lindy of Writers Li.P.P.
I became acquainted with  author and speaker Jody Hedlund on Twitter; today she wrote a great blog post called How Genuine Are Online Friendships? Coinciding as it did with my Writers Li.P.P. post today called Who's On Your Team?, Jody's post as well as her readers' comments really resonated with me.

Because not only do I receive amazing online support from people who share my passion for writing - most of whom I have never met - this blog has also served to deepen my experience with real-life friends and acquaintances. Like the mother of the piano student who gave me the amazing end-of-year gifts last week, others who have known me in only one capacity or another - as a fellow parent, a peer in high school, a colleague from my local music teacher's association - have gotten to know more about the many facets of my life through these pages. As a result, when I run into these people in the course of my real life, I find out about other things we have in common, whether it's an unfulfilled dream, a mutual love of knitting or beading, or the hope that we will find True Love.

As a matter of fact, sometimes it's easier for me to open up and be my authentic, complicated, messy self when I am writing. Since this is my "personal" blog, I am not obligated to maintain a "professional" persona. I try to keep things PG-13 rated - after all, a handful of my piano students, as well as my parents and occasionally my own children - read these posts. But even my fiction is PG-13 rated. That's just how I roll.

Based on Google statistics, I know that a lot of people visit my blog and never leave a comment. Some of you comment on Facebook instead, and that's okay, too. Regardless, I want you to know how much I appreciate each and every one of you. I feel your love and support reaching out to me across the miles, through the blogosphere, and it means the world to me. Knowing that I am accountable to you spurs me on to work on my novel when I would rather go outside and play and to blog about my progress when I would rather watch television. And after I am a published author, we're gonna have the biggest blog party that ever was. Who's in?

12 comments:

LisaAnn said...

I'm in! I'm in! Sign me up for the party, and I totally agree with you about the amazing community we've found out here in cyberspace! So thankful for YOU too! :)

Julee J. Adams said...

Count me in! I am grateful too for the friendships I've found on-line and thanks for inspiring me!

Hell of a party, when either of us makes it, okay?

Eydie said...

I enjoyed visiting your blog for the first time today.
So much beauty and inspiration.

I look forward to connecting with you again.
xoxo

Tammy H said...

Count me in, too! I will be there partying right along side you and all your other blog readers.

Might even have to do a write-away in Atlanta...wink...wink...

Tami:-)

S.M. Carrière said...

I'm so totally in. I'll being the punch!

Pam Asberry said...

Hey Lisa Ann! Thank you for your comments. You have officially made my day!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, there will be TWO parties - one for you and one for me! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Eydie, thank you so much for visiting my blog and following and for your kind words. I hope you will stop by often. Now I'm off to check out your site. I am always happy to make a new online friend!

Pam Asberry said...

Ooh, Tammy, let's definitely have a write-away in Atlanta. We'll call it a pre-party! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Perfect, S.M. I guess I'd better get to work; the sooner I get this novel finished, the sooner we can set the date, right?

unstoppablestart said...

Count me in! Love you! And you can post my picture anytime as long as I'm not picking my nose. :-) - Lindy

Pam Asberry said...

Yay, Lindy! Love you, too!