Thursday, June 16, 2011

With a capital "S" and that rhymes with "mess"

It's been one of those weeks...

I went like the that battery-operated bunny but I don't have much to show for my efforts. My house is a wreck; the laundry piles are mounting. We need groceries and the dog needs ear drops I need to pick up my thyroid medication at Kroger. My self-imposed deadline is approaching fast and I made very little progress on my novel revision.

But I taught my piano students and nobody went hungry and everybody got where they needed to go. I had some girl time with Jennifer and Denise on Tuesday and my critique partner on Wednesday; she and I launched a new blog. And while I was in the shower this morning, I figured out the next two scenes of my story. That's not nothing.

And I gave some long, hard thought to my goals, both long-term and short-term, and got to work on some lists that, if adhered to, will help me achieve those goals. That's not nothing, either.

It's been one of those days...

I finished a custom order for a client - a stunning crystal necklace, bracelet and earring set in UGA colors. It's supposed to show Bulldog pride, but I'm thinking this combination has little black dress potential. Here is the necklace.


She was so thrilled when she picked them up that she ordered several Christmas items - for herself and for gifts - as well as ten pairs of earrings that she is going to donate to a cause she supports. I am delighted to have the extra work. Pleased as punch, I went to my favorite local bead shop and picked up most of the supplies I need to complete her requested items, then went to Kohl's and used three coupons to get a small bottle of Juicy Couture cologne - which I have been out of for over a year - for $11.90 plus tax. I was feeling on top of the world.

Then, out of nowhere, there was trouble here in River City. Forgive me for not sharing the details; maybe someday I will be able to look back on this situation and laugh. For now, all I will say is raising children isn't easy and I am not so much as cracking a smile.

Here's my point: your whole world can change in an instant. You can be sailing through your life, smooth waters, right on course, everything according to schedule, and BAM! - a meteor falls from the heavens and lands smack on top of your vessel you and your boat are under water, never to be seen again. So you've got to cherish every moment; try not to gag on the frog as he's going down every morning, be sure to schedule time for your friends and family, and treat yourself to a special bottle of cologne once in a while. Because you just never know.

14 comments:

AllMyPosts said...

Hmmm!!

come on!! Not everything will be piece of cake!! Someday you may be able to laugh at whatever is happening!!

Have faith!! and keep moving!!

with warm regards
Another Author

SAIDFRAZ said...

sorry about the bump in the road, everything was going so well! Isn't it a shame that it takes so long for teenage boy brains to meet up with their growing bodies? Hang in there.

KendallGrey said...

I very much feel your pain, Pam. Sorry to hear things aren't ideal with the kids, but it will get better. At least, that's what I keep telling myself.

Your jewelery is fantastic. I just ordered some stuff to try my hand at a necklace one of my characters wears in my trilogy. Hoping it will turn out well enough to use it on the cover. I might be calling you for advice (or commissioning a necklace, LOL!)

Not sure if you're headed to GRW tomorrow, but I can't make it this time. Hope to see you next month, if not sooner.

HUGS!

B Snow said...

Gorgeous necklace, even if I do work for Georgia Tech. ;)

Hope to see you at GRW this Saturday; maybe you can explain your new list process to me. My problem with making lists is that I forget to look at them ever again....

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Abhishek! I will!

Pam Asberry said...

Hey, Sherri. Yes, it is a shame. Unfortunately, I know grown men whose brains never did quite catch up with their bodies; here's hoping that's something Nathan didn't inherit! ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Kendall. I would be more than happy to help you with your jewelry project - honored, in fact! - so just let me know. I will definitely be at GRW tomorrow; I don't think we have a meeting in July, so it might be August before I see you again. But I hope not!

Pam Asberry said...

Hey, B, I could do a necklace in Tech colors upon request...

I will try to remember to bring my voluminous lists to the meeting tomorrow; meanwhile, I am keeping my daily to-do list in plain sight, carrying it with me everywhere I go. :-)

Christine said...

Sorry you had a bad day. And it is so true--sometimes things just go out of whack just when you think smooth sailing ahead.

Keeping you in my thoughts!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Christine. And thank you for following my blog. Here's hoping for smooth sailing again soon!

Anonymous said...

Pam,

I awarded you with Versatile Blogger Award today. Check out my website www.susanCmay.com for details.

Susan

Julee J. Adams said...

As you said, sometimes it's cloudy and sometimes it's clear. Maybe, your son(s) could help with laundry and work around the house? Good training to make them good husbands later. Just sayin', you sometimes 1. have to ask for help, 2. have to revise the list to be a little more realistic. Love ya! {{{Pam}}}

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Susan! I am honored! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

You are right on both counts, Julee. I will see what I can do. :-)