Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Working for a Paycheck

I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. 

Prompt #7: Dare to be bold by Matt Cheuvront

Our arts, our occupations, our marriages, our religion, we have not chosen, but society has chosen for us. We are parlour soldiers. We shun the rugged battle of fate, where strength is born.
~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Next to Resistance, rational thought is the artist's or entrepreneur's worst enemy. Bad things happen when we employ rational thought, because rational thought comes from the ego. Instead, we want to work from the Self, that is, from instinct and intuition, from the unconscious. A child has no trouble believing the unbelievable, nor does the genius or the madman. It is only you and I, with our big brains and our tiny hearts, who doubt and overthink and hesitate.
~ Steven Pressfield, Do the Work

The idea of "being realistic" holds all of us back. From starting a business or quitting a job to dating someone who may not be our type to moving to a new place - getting "real" often means putting your dreams on hold. Today, let's take a step away from rational thought and dare to be bold. What's the one thing you've always wanted to accomplish but have been afraid to pursue? Write it down. Also write down the obstacles in your way of reaching your goal. Finally, write down a tangible plan to overcome each obstacle. The only thing left is to, you know, actually go make it happen. What are you waiting for?
(Author: Matt Cheuvront)

Ironic that this should be the prompt on the same day that Bob Mayer's Blog was titled Publish Your Book or Play the Lottery? His conclusion? 

So here's my advice for those who want to join the gold rush: you can publish your book or you can play the lottery. The latter takes a lot less work and the odds are the same.

Gulp. Because if you have been following this blog for any length of time, you know that being a published author has been the biggest goal I have always wanted to accomplish but was afraid to pursue. I am well aware of the obstacles in the way - learning the craft, finding time to write on top of parenting responsibilities and a full-time job, overcoming Resistance and finishing the book, finding an agent or editor or self-publishing the finished work. I have made specific plans for dealing with these obstacles and am working hard to make my dream a reality.

My conclusion? I'm not going to let any of this discourage me. I'm going to keep jumping the hurdles and keeping my eye on the prize, proceeding with childlike faith. In the words of one of my favorite songs (Bright Eyes First Day of My Life), "I'd rather be working for a paycheck than waiting to win the lottery."



6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Blogger, thoughtful post. "Get Real?" Reality hits us all with a kung fu grip. Most people only dare to dream. Maybe dreams are only for the bold. Emerson is right, the bold ones defy convention... what is "expected" of us, put on us. I've vacillated from a dream world of my art to the work world that brings in money. My real dreams have been on 50% hold for years as I chased economic security. I've had one foot in reality and another in a nether land. I strove for things like technical certifications - a drivers license for performing work, a client base. None of this inspires or makes me want to live. But at least I have the other 50%. Ross Peroe said working for something in some cases is better than having it. My faith that I one day my art will carry me (like the blogger will) and I will have a true love in my life, kids I can call mine(someway), a summer home, a white Cadillac convertible with tittie pink interior, and or notoriety (for something good)

Charlee said...

Sometimes you do have to just go for things... although sensibly!

Julee J. Adams said...

Love it! Thanks for the video--it's on my list now too. We all gotta get our s#it together and get out on the road. If we can do it in a Cadillac convertible, so much the better!

Julee, who may start looking for a day job soon

Pam Asberry said...

It sounds like you know exactly what you want, Anonymous. Now you just need to make sure you are taking the necessary steps to get there. I hope all your dreams come true!

Pam Asberry said...

You are absolutely right, Charlee! Full speed ahead!

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I have my eyes on a BMW convertible myself... ;-)