Sunday, July 10, 2011

Beading Frenzy

I made two sparkly crisscross bracelets at Natalie's house last night.



And this afternoon I sat in on a class at my favorite local bead shop, On the Rocks, and made an intricate chain mail bracelet.


It's really true: I can't decide what I want to be when I grow up.

I love teaching piano. I love writing. And I love beading.

Thank goodness I don't HAVE to decide. I really CAN do it all.

Just not all at once.

But where my beading is concerned, I have been trying to figure out some ways I can give back. I want to donate a portion of the profits from my Etsy store to a charitable organization, preferably something related to beading that empowers women and/or helps children. I became quite excited when I learned about Soul of Somanya, an organization which endeavors to develop sustainable employment opportunities in the field of bead work for disadvantaged youth with limited job prospects. I intend to find out more about this group, and who knows? Maybe I will travel to Africa on their behalf one day.

And then I found out about Beading to Beat Autism. You must watch this video; it will bring tears to your eyes.


I signed up for the 30-day challenge on the spot; when my kit gets here, I am going to need a lot of help assembling and selling 300 bracelets. So if any of you want to help in any way, whether it's beading or buying - I am thinking party here, who's in? - please comment and let me know.

Michala reminded me how each and every one of us - whether big or small - can me a huge difference in this world. We just have to find our calling. Every day I believe I get a little bit closer to finding mine. Thank you for being a part of my journey.

4 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Excellent!
I can't even get the stuff I bought last week put away...
Keep sharing your pretties, please. I'm happy to have some Pam Asberry originals.

KendallGrey said...

Pam, your beading is amazing! So beautiful. I love that you're going to give some of your profits to help disadvantaged kids. I feel the same way about giving back - SO important.

I'm like you - I don't know what I want to be when I grow up either. Too many fascinations, but you're right. As long as you can manage all of them, who cares? Do what you love. All of it!

Pam Asberry said...

If I can ever tear myself away from my laptop, Julee, I am going to drag myself downstairs and organize my beading supplies. Right now it looks like something vomited beads all over my table; it is almost impossible to find anything at this point. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you, Kendall! I am committed to everything; the problem is finding a comfortable balance between all my activities. My inclination is to immerse myself in one thing at a time, but then important tasks get neglected. I am trying to put myself on a schedule - two hours of this, an hour of that, etc. - but it isn't easy. I am looking forward to getting involved in both of the charities I mentioned; the lady who founded Souls of Somanya started a blog just a few days ago, and I think that is quite serendipitous!