Thursday, July 7, 2011

Happy Blogoversary to ME!!!

It's hard to believe, but it was three years ago today that I wrote my inaugural post for this blog.

I'm not sure when I first became aware of blogging, but I distinctly remember when I became fascinated by it. I was sitting up late one January evening, sipping a glass of wine and perusing knitting books at Amazon when I stumbled upon Laurie Perry's Drunk Divorced and Covered in Cat Hair (subtitled The True Life Adventures of a 30-Something Who Learned to Knit After He Split). How could I resist a title like that? I ordered the book that night and devoured it as soon as it arrived.

At the end of the book, I learned that Laurie wrote a blog, and as smitten with her as I was, I promptly checked that out, too. Turned out Laurie had been blogging since January, 2005 so it took me a while to catch up, but eventually I did and I haven't missed a post since. Her blog is honest and compelling and warm and wise and hilarious and heartbreaking all at the same time. If you have never visited her site, I highly recommend it.

Anyway, the whole idea of blogging really resonated with me, but it took me several months to actually take the plunge. But on July 6, 2008 I did. If you want to read that first post, click HERE. When I first started, I honestly thought my blog would be a lot like Laurie's, except not as funny. (I wish!) But I think I have remained true to my original vision:

In this blog I will share many, many adventures. I am a single mom, a daughter and a sister; a music maker and piano teacher; a writer; a lover and a friend; a dog owner; a maker of things, including but not limited to collage art, knitting, crocheting, quilting, and beading. I cook and bake and clean and do laundry and all the other several hundred things it takes to keep a household running. To tell you the truth, I often have a hard time keeping up with everything and maintaining order and balance in my life...I am hoping that writing about it will help.

And it HAS helped - not just the writing about it, but the support and encouragement you provide me through your comments - here, on Facebook, and sometimes even in person. My life has taken some funny turns during these three years. I have lost a brother, ended a four-year relationship, dabbled in online dating, gotten engaged to a guy I met on a cruise, dabbled in step-parenting, broken the engagement, dated some more, dealt with some difficult situations with my kids, turned my beading into a business.

And now I am blogging regularly on THREE websites, occasionally on a few others - and I have started a journey as a novelist that I hope will result in publication. Last night, as I struggled with yet another difficult scene in my revision, I couldn't help but ask myself, "Why are you writing a book when you could be having FUN?" So I posed the question on Facebook and Twitter and got some positive feedback and then I felt better. And it beat the heck out of punching a hole in my laptop screen.

I took a deep breath, and I got back to work.

Thank you for joining me in my celebration. Thank you for reading this blog, and following this blog, and sharing your love and wisdom in your comments. I appreciate it more than you can possibly imagine.

And here's to the future!

19 comments:

Rachel Brooks said...

Happy Blogoversary! Three years of blogging is quite an achievement. You go girl!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Rachel! :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

You are blogtastic! I don't know the exact statistics on it, but I'm pretty sure you've beaten the averages.

It does help, doesn't it? If nothing else, we're cleaning out and sharing some old pictures, right?

Many more, love ya!

S.M. Carrière said...

HAPPY BLOGOVERSARY! You ought to be very proud of yourself! Here's to your future. Here's hoping it's as bright and wonderful as you!

eric said...

Well done! My completely unsolicited, unbiased opinion is that this is the best blog of all time. I never miss an issue of the Mimmy Chronicles (that's the name you should have gone with, but it's too late now)

Pam Asberry said...

I love that word, Julee - blogtastic! I know a lot of people start blogs but once the writing starts to feel like work, they give up. I have done the opposite; I have already posted more this year than I did 2008-2010 combined! I love blogging - and I can tell you do, too. :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Oops, that wasn't quite ready to send. I wanted to say I'm looking forward to YOUR three-year blogoversary. It will be here before we know it!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much, S.M. Meeting great people is one of the biggest benefits of blogging; our paths wouldn't have crossed otherwise, and I'm so glad they did. I think about certain folks specifically while I am writing, and you are one of them. Thank you for being there!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Pam Pam

You are a true writer! Thinker!

Pam Asberry said...

The Mimmy Chronicles. If only you had mentioned that sooner, Eric. :-) Thank you for being one of my biggest fans - and a great brother, too. I love you!

Pam Asberry said...

Sometimes I think too much, Anonymous. But writing this blog helps me sort it all out. Thank you for your kind words!

Laila Knight said...

3 years?! Well, congratulations! And you do such a great job with your blogging too. :)

1001 Secrets of Successful Writers said...

Happy Blogoversary! I love your blog. Keep up the good work.

Darrell.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you Darrell. That's music to my ears! I will certainly do my best. :-)

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

Congratulations on three years of helpful advice and consistency!

~Debbie

Pam Asberry said...

Wow - thanks, Debbie! That means a lot coming from you. I am so glad you stopped by to celebrate with me!

Pam Asberry said...

Laila, somehow I overlooked your comment when I checked in earlier. But I truly appreciate it. Thank you so much! I'm glad you think so! :-)

pat said...

Sorry this is so late but since I am waking up from the dead..
Of the distance you have come and the way you have evolved, light years or light speed, which ever you choose to say, doesn't even begin to scratch the surface. love ya, proud of ya!

Pam Asberry said...

Like a phoenix, Pat, I am rising up out of the ashes. :-) Thank you for stopping by!