Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Macrame Madness


I took another macrame bracelet class at a local bead shop last week, and all I want to do is tie knots. These and many more will eventually be listed for sale in my Etsy store (click HERE).

As much as I love doing it all - and as important as all my creative pursuits are to me - sometimes I have a hard time squeezing everything in. I wish I could just immerse myself in one activity at a time, but real life interferes with that. Piano teaching forces me to adhere to a schedule; special orders from my jewelry customers take precedence over exploration; the demands of running a household are never ending. The only thing I don't HAVE to do is write, but I hope that won't always be the situation, so I write anyway. The best solution I have been able to come up with is to put myself on a flexible daily schedule, in which I teach my students as required, make one or two new pieces of jewelry, and write a specific number of words.

On the heels of my trip to Birmingham, and in the middle of this obsession with macrame, I am a bit behind on my revision schedule. However, I am trying not to beat myself up for that, because I have been writing every day - just 500-1000 words as opposed to a couple thousand. And I am remain committed to get finishing my story before my birthday August 15th. 2000 or so words a day will get me there.

Writers, do you have other creative interests that distract you from your WIP's? How do you deal with that?

8 comments:

darkwrite said...

Hmm, no creative distractions. Non-creative however... I love playing computer games. I can start in the morning and by afternoon, all red eyes, wonder how on Earth did time passes so quickly? That's why I try not to start playing at all.

Julee J. Adams said...

I started doing counted cross-stitch with a passion in 1995 and for about the next dozen years, finished dozens of pieces, big and small. That all changed when I started writing in 2006. (We'll have to do something for my 5 year anniversary, because it will be the week you're visiting the home town!) I still stitch a bit, but between writing, transcribing notes and editing, not as much as I'd love. AND I was stupid enough to install Jewel Quest III on both computers...and silly enough to have to look for work....
Love the bracelets. Found some silk-type cord in the garage from a failed high school project. *sigh* Keep 'em coming!

Creations by Laurel-Rain Snow said...

From the first part of this round, I've felt as though I was not quite making it...that I was slacking off. But I was moving forward, a bit at a time, and suddenly things are coming together!

Great bracelets! Hang in there....

S.M. Carrière said...

A great deal, actually! I love drawing (pencil mostly), and sewing (though I'm terrible at it!).

It's relatively easy for me to avoid getting distracted by these however. I write away from home, where I keep my materials for sewing and drawing, and there is nothing else available to amuse me except writing.

Pam Asberry said...

Darkwrite, I sometimes get distracted by games, too. I love Bejeweled and Tetris, and the only reason I don't waste hours playing them is by not starting. So I feel your pain!

Pam Asberry said...

I used to do counted cross-stitch, Julee, although I haven't started a new project in years. I guess cross-stitch took a back seat to knitting and jewelry making. As I mentioned in my previous comment, I love Bejeweled, but I try to avoid it as much as possible. Yes, we will celebrate your 5-year anniversary while I am in town. Any excuse for a party, right?

Pam Asberry said...

Yes, Laurel, sometimes it's enough just to make slow, steady progress. Glad things are finally taking off for you! Keep up the good work!

Pam Asberry said...

I know you are a very creative being, S.M.! Writing away from home is a good idea. I actually bought a Neo so that I could do just that, because once I actually sit down to write, I still fight the temptation to go on the internet, and the Neo is just a word processor. I need to think about this and possibly make going someplace quiet with my Neo a part of my daily routine. Thanks for the reminder!