Thursday, July 14, 2011

Ordinary Things

I am participating in #Trust30, an online initiative and 30-day writing challenge that encourages you to look within and trust yourself. 


Today's prompt:
Ordinary Things 

Every artist was first an amateur.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson

To be an artist, one has to find beauty in ordinary things. Find ten things of great beauty in the landscape that surrounds you. For example, crumpled sheets on your bed in the morning, the small of coffee making its way around a busy office.
Author: Ana Guardia


This holly bush is a volunteer.

My love for dandelions gone to seed is legendary.

Decorative work on the china cabinet that my grandmother passed down to me when she died.

My wine bottle rack. I love the curves and shadows.

Fringe on a fleece blanket a piano student made and gave to me for Christmas a few years back. 

Beads that almost look like buttons.

Hand-dyed ribbons.

Czech glass beads in jellybean colors.

Sparkling pink crystals with an aurora borealis finish.


A beautiful beetle. I hope he's okay.

I thoroughly enjoyed this challenge; I saw things I wouldn't have noticed otherwise, and I am so thankful I didn't miss them. Give it a try; you won't be sorry!

12 comments:

Playground Monitor said...

I'm guilty of seeing the big things that are right in my face but not the small sweetnesses of life. I should start taking notice of the little things. Great photos! I used to make beaded bookmarks but my beads have been packed away since I moved into my apartment.

Marilyn

Pam Asberry said...

I think we're all guilty of that far too often, Marilyn; that's what was so great about this exercise. I walked around the house and the bead shop with my camera strapped around my neck, looking at things I might have otherwise overlooked and trying to see them in new ways. It was a lot of fun! And I hope you get back into beading soon. It is very therapeutic for me!

KendallGrey said...

Perspective is a wonderful thing. You have such a great eye for beautiful things. I loved the beads and shiny stuff. :-)

Eydie said...

Pam,
Thanks for stopping over and visting my blog.
I’m so glad you mentioned “ordinary things”

I am going to check it out.

I loved your photos.
xoxo

S.M. Carrière said...

*sings
Raindrops on roses,
And whiskers on kittens.
Bright copper kettles,
And warm woollen mittens.
Brown paper packages,
tied up with string...

Everybody! No? Just me then?

Pam Asberry said...

It only takes me about five minutes to get to the bead shop, Kendall, so I go there OFTEN - a couple of times a week when I am beading a lot, like I do over the summer. So I truly felt that it wasn't "cheating" to consider that part of my "environment." And there are so many beautiful things there!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Eydie! I'm really not a photographer; I have a Nikon D40 but I always use the auto focus feature. I manage to get some great pictures anyway. Thank you so much for stopping by my blog and commenting. You are always an inspiration!

Pam Asberry said...

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes,
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes,
Silver white winters that melt into springs...

No, S.M., it's not just you! LOL!

Tami Brothers said...

I love these pictures Pam. You put a lot of thought into them and have me thinking of things I could do the same with around my own home.

Thanks.

Tami

Eydie said...

Pam,
Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog.
You have inspired me to look for the extraordinary in the ordinary with my photos.

I love looking at yours.

I will look forward to connecting with you again.
xoxo

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Tami. The project was a lot of fun. I might try doing it once a week or so. I really think it made me more aware of my surroundings; hopefully I will be able to bring more of those details into my writing.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Eydie. I hope you will visit often. :-)