Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Updates and a recipe

As predicted, I haven't been able to spend much time working on my novel revision, although I have been writing every day. But I finished my book review as well as my chapter of the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales group novel; I also made some new friends and did some much-needed refilling of my creative well. So it's not all bad.

Still, it is obvious that I am not going to finish the revision by the end of the month. And maybe that's just as well; Angela James's Before You Hit Send Workshop as well as Margie Lawson's Empowering Characters' Emotions all-day workshop in Birmingham on Saturday will no doubt improve the quality of my work, although they are taking time away from it. I need 18 days writing 2080 words per day in order to finish the current draft of my WIP once and for all; my new deadline is my birthday August 15th.

I can't think of a better way to begin a new year of my life than starting a new book.

Besides that, I am a little bit panicked by how quickly my summer "vacation" is going by and how few things I have checked off my summer to-do list. I am trying not to beat myself up for this; my daily to-do list is pretty ambitious, and it isn't unusual for me to work 12 to 15 hour at a stretch. So it looks like the only solution is to let some of the routine things slide here and there in order to tackle some of those other items. It's a safe bet that everything isn't going to get done. It's also a safe bet that what doesn't get done isn't going anywhere.

And this isn't even on my list, but tomorrow I am going to clean out my bedroom closet, heeding the advice of my wonderful Jane Austen Book Club pals and boxing up everything that doesn't fit or flatter, because it makes me miserable to walk into my closet and see nothing but garments that I haven't been able to squeeze into for two years or more. There may not be much left after I get finished, but the pieces that survive will be things I can actually wear. Then I am going to give myself six months to lose this ten or fifteen pounds that stands between me and perfection. If I succeed, great - I will pull out the boxes and replace some of the items. If I don't, the boxes go to Goodwill, and I will slowly begin to rebuild my wardrobe.

My friends seems to think that, once those clothes are out of my closet, the weight will disappear with minimal effort. I hope they're right.

Maybe Denise's low-cal iced coffee drink will help. Here is her recipe.

1 cup leftover coffee
1 cup unsweetened almond milk (preferably chocolate)
Sugar free syrup to taste (she uses coconut - available at Cost Plus)
Blend all with crushed ice.
Makes about 4 cups.

How is your writing coming along? Are there any projects you hope to accomplish before summer's end?

12 comments:

Christine said...

The recipe looks yummy! I can't wait to see you at Margie's workshop. And don't worry about your "deadline" because the goal is to write a fabulous book, and Margie's class will help!

Then you'll be ready to start the next book!

And it will be fun to write!

Pam Asberry said...

You are right, Christine. I don't think these workshops fell into my lap just now by coincidence. I know I need them. And if a few weeks makes the difference between flat and fabulous, then I will take them. I am SO excited about Saturday - can't wait to see you, too! :-)

Megan said...

I agree with your friends that cleaning out the closet will help. Seriously, it's amazing the psychological boost it gives you to remove those not-right clothes that seem to stare at you, implying "you can't wear ME because..." Closet clean-out day is awesome. Enjoy!!

Noelle Pierce said...

Loving the BYHS workshop! I'm discouraged by how long it's going to take me, but I definitely needed it.

As far as getting everything done, I like to use the advice I gleaned from "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff": Your inbox is never empty. Live life, get done what you can, and don't spend too much time trying to get everything done--there'll always be something else to do. (I wish my hubby would take this advice, sometimes). :D

Have fun in Birmingham!

Pam Asberry said...

It's taken me a long time to reach the point of being willing to let go - I spent good money on those clothes, everything is so darn CUTE - but I am finally there. "Clearing the cobwebs" has been my theme so far this year, and there are plenty in my closet. Thanks for your support, Megan!

Pam Asberry said...

Noelle, the BYHS workshop is wonderful - VERY time-consuming, but just what I need right now. Thanks for the good advice - at least I am learning how to prioritize. Good luck with your writing!

Anonymous said...

hey you, where websites do you like the best for your jewelry making item? Trust me, not to compete with you, just want to make a few things for myself and there are sooooooo many websites with a bunch of yuk in them. I know this isn't relative to the blog today. But the blog is great, like always, you have the gift of writing!

Pam Asberry said...

Anonymous, I buy most of my supplies at my local bead shop - On the Rocks in Dacula, Georgia. My two favorite online stores are Brightlings Beads and Jewelry Supply Company, but there are a lot of great resources out there, in my humble opinion!

Tami Brothers said...

I agree. That recipe sounds heavenly.

I have to agree with your friend. Getting the clothes out of there is a HUGE help.

I actually had a friend who was a good 15 pounds heavier than me donate some of her dress clothes to my when I started working at a job that required more formal attire than I had. They were loose but worked fine for what I needed them fore. Within 6 months, I had grown into them. Not my finest moment.

Then, when I hit the weight loss thing hot and heavy, I kept everything in a corner of the closet “just in case.” I found myself wearing them every time I felt a little puffy and again, I grew to fit into them.

Now, they are all gone and when I buy something new, I tend to buy it just a tad snug. (Not painted on skin tight, still work respectable.) It turns out to be a great reminder. When I’m eating out with friends, I feel the waistband of my dress pants a little too tight under my ribs and I usually pass on high calories meals.

I know this doesn’t work for everyone, but I have found it works great for me. Good luck with this.

Tami

Anonymous said...

Thanks Pam for the jewelry information.I agree, alot of good resources. I have shopped at On the Rocks myself and took a beginner jewelry class, once again just for me, not to sale. If you don't mind me asking, where do you find the cute pendants with the scenes on them, I think you had some Christmas ones along with little girls, etc. I just loved those...Thanks again for your help steering me in the right direction.Have a great evening!!

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you for sharing your experiences, Tami. That is very encouraging to me! I have been working in my closet the better part of the day and plan to share the results a little bit later!

Pam Asberry said...

Anonymous, the pendants you are referring to were handmade by me from dominos. Just curious - why don't you tell me who you are? Maybe we could get together and bead sometime!