Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Writing and Cooking in Positano


You've read Eat, Pray, Love and know about Elizabeth Gilbert eating her way across Italy, right? And you've seen Under the Tuscan Sun and watched Dianne Ladd remodel her Italian villa and Letters From Juliet in which Lynn Redgrave renews a decades-old love affair?

Then you can certainly understand why I want to spend a week Writing and Cooking in Positano (click HERE). But it's not just about a trip to Italy and fabulous cuisine; I also want to meet one of my all-time favorite authors, Elizabeth Berg. Just look at my Amazing Life List; yep, it sure would be great to check off #64.

So, who would like to sponsor me?

Oh, dear; I don't see any hands going up.

Obviously, what I need to do, then, is conduct my life in such a way that the next time such an opportunity presents itself I will be ready. Financially and otherwise.

Gotta keep teaching those piano lessons. Gotta make a success of my jewelry business. Gotta finish that book.

In the meantime, I am going to keep knocking what items I can off my list. Since creating it on March 15, 2010, I have accomplished 16, 27, 37, 40, 50, 51, 56 and 61. As for #36, I had an article published in the state music teacher's association newsletter - almost there - and I have only one more book to read to complete #30. And I am plugging away at #32 and #70.

To be honest, there are a couple of things on the list that are no longer as important to me as they once were, and a few others that I might put in their place. At some point, I will probably rewrite it altogether. For now, it is useful simply to move it back to the front burner. That's why the act of creating such lists is so important. It helps you figure out what matters most and focus your consciousness on it.

Tomorrow, I plan to begin brainstorming a list of potential writing projects so that after The Wishing Box is finished in an attempt to figure out exactly who I am as a writer. It has been suggested that I explore potential markets in nonfiction; it has also been suggested that I tap into my experience working with children and consider writing for the young adult market. These are all good ideas.

But for now, I remain committed to finishing this book of my heart - the one that I have been slaving over for more than two years - by the end of July. It surely isn't the best book I will ever write; God willing, it won't be my last.

I am thinking about how much fun it would be to write a memoir about a week spent writing and cooking in Positano with Elizabeth Berg...

8 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

There you go. Life is preparation, then doing. Both are important.

I started obsessing about a timeline for all the stories I have and realized I could "break out" even more of the side stories I was just going to briefly mention and e-publish, even if they're only novellas or if I wanted to do as YA stories. But, you're right. Let's focus on the main project first, then we'll go on.

Here's hoping we get all of our wishes!

Lizzie's Blog said...

I don't blame you! I love Italy I have been twice and I would go back in a heart beat. Writing and Cooking in Positano sounds amazing.

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I feel like I am building my writing muscles on this project. Every time I go through it, I find new problem areas; by going through the process of solving these problems, I become a better writer. I'm not ready to e-publish. When I am, I will go for it. In the meantime, I'm going to stay focused on the task at hand. Because I know that in the end we WILL get all of our wishes! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Lizzie, let's save our money so that the next time something like this comes around the pike we can GO FOR IT! Thank you for stopping by and commenting!

Playground Monitor said...

One of my biggest financial fears is that I won't have money for the necessities, much less Italy. A late-in-life divorce does that to you. But I'm trying to stay positive. I may not make Positano, but by golly I'm going to make it to Anaheim for RWA12! Already have about $450 saved toward it.

Marilyn

Pam Asberry said...

Don't get me wrong, Marilyn; I'm single, self-employed, and still have two kids at home (one of them in college). Right now, I am living month to month; at the rate I am going, I will NEVER be able to retire. Not only will I not make it to Positano (unless someone comes through with a sponsorship, and heck, you don't know until I ask), I won't make it to RWA in 2012, either (although I'm looking forward to 2013, when it will be in Atlanta.) And I am confident (hoping, praying) that money won't always be as tight as it is right now. Matter of fact, I am dreaming BIG. Why not?

Tami Brothers said...

Hey Pam! I love the idea of writing in Italy. Sounds like a dream. I often wonder how the people in those movies can afford it...

Great job on checking off some of those goals. I did a life list two years ago and have only check off one thing. Most everything I want to do requires money. I think I might need to rethink that list...

I'm right there with you for Atlanta RWA. I've wanted to go for several years (and missed it when it was in Atlanta because we had family out).

Hope you make it there one day. Good things come to those who wait... I hope.. :)

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

I think the people in the movies can afford it, Tami, because it's FICTION. And Elizabeth Gilbert's publisher funded her trip. So we just need to keep writing, and shooting for the stars!