Thursday, August 4, 2011

Getting Jiggy With It

I stepped outside my comfort zone again today.
African Trade Bead Bracelet

Inspired by this tutorial, I used an odd assortment of African Krobo beads/African trade beads/African Christmas beads* I had collected to make a bracelet. It is a departure from my usual style and was a lot of fun to create. I love wearing it!

Africa is calling me...

I spent the rest of the day organizing my beading and sewing supplies and getting my piano studio ready for the new school year, which starts Monday. What happened to summer vacation? When I was a kid, we got out of school before Memorial Day and we didn't return until after Labor Day. What is this world coming to?

My birthday is just a few days away, and I am germinating the seed of an idea for a project I plan to launch on August 15th. Stay tuned!

*The term "trade beads" refers to beads used in place of currency. In Africa, trade beads were used by Europeans to trade with the native people for slaves, services and local goods. Most were produced in Venice; others came from Holland and Bohemia. Christmas beads - sometimes called "peace beads" or "love beads" - date as far back as the mid-nineteenth century and are Czech-made. Imported from Ghana, they symbolize peace and goodwill. Solid and striped, opaque and translucent, crafted from glass or plastic, some of these beads have tiny imperfections, which add to their charm.

8 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

You must go to Africa one day. And when you do, take me with you! I really want to go as well!

Anonymous said...

you add to their charm.

Pam Asberry said...

Okay, S.M. Start saving your pennies. Nickels and dimes, too! ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

No pun intended, right, Anonymous?

Amy (ArtsyBookishGal) said...

That is so cool. I would love to make one of those!

Pam Asberry said...

Amy, check out the tutorial. This is a simple, satisfying project and would work well with many different kinds of beads. Let me know if you try one!

Elizabeth said...

Nice blog....NEW FOLLOWER.

Elizabeth

http://silversolara.blogspot.com

Pam Asberry said...

Hi Elizabeth! Thank you for the follow. OMW to check out your blog now!