Friday, August 19, 2011

It ain't over yet

Thanks to everyone who responded to my post on Tuesday. The outpouring of love and support I received was positively overwhelming. Based on everybody's advice, I can see that my thoughts about throwing in the towel were perhaps a wee bit premature. Regardless, I feel the need to take a couple of steps back from my novel writing. I am going to set this manuscript aside for a while, dig into my stack of books on craft, read some great fiction and try to figure out exactly what makes it great, go to the Moonlight and Magnolias Conference, and then start a new project. You can be sure I will participate in National Novel Writing Month again, as well. In the meantime, since I am most comfortable writing nonfiction, I am going to explore opportunities there. It's all good.

Ever since my lovely birthday celebration and my creation of a vision board, I have felt that I have been under some sort of spiritual attack. And I will admit to feeling pretty down and out for a while. This time last night I was on the verge of breaking. What a difference twenty-four hours can make. At this point I am determined to take all the negatives and turn them into one great big shining positive. The middle-aged female version of Gutsy Smurf.

I am going to leave you with a video sent to me by my wonderful friend S.M. Carriere. It made me cry. In a good way.


What would I do without all of you?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Much better. Keep your head held high. You can work this out! Keep the high spirit.
And I am sure you know who this anonymous person is since we spoke at length two nights ago.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Brian. :-)

Julee J. Adams said...

Awesome. Thanks Beth and thanks Pam.

BTW, the CD I sent of SEVEN DAYS? Put some felt on the back and use it as a coaster. Seriously. It's like a third draft. Obviously, I'm a fifth draft kind of girl. I just don't print them out.

Keep on truckin'! Wait. I'm showing my age. Sorry....

S.M. Carrière said...

Giant, warm, fuzzy internet hugs!

Pam Asberry said...

Love your coaster idea, Julee. Now THERE's an idea for Etsy... ;-)

Pam Asberry said...

Gratefully accepted, S.M.! Thanks again for sharing the great video!

Cate Morgan said...

I'd highly recommened The Fire In Fiction (and anything/everything else you can find by Donald Maass).

Glad you're feeling more chipper--keep on truckin'!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for the suggestion, Cate; it just so happens that I already own a copy of that book. I will add it to the stack next to my bed!

Tami Brothers said...

I LOVE the book she refers to in the vlog. I don't know how I happened upon it but it definitely one of my favorites.

I couldn't agree more with her. I hope you keep on writing. If not for the big shiny hardback at the end of the road, then for the knowledge and the feeling of accomplishment when you type those two little words. The End.

Hugs

Tami

Pam Asberry said...

Now that I know your opinion, Tami, I will have to read the book mentioned in the vlog. I place a lot of stock in your book reviews; reading them has made my book addiction even worse than it already was! ;-) Thanks for all your encouragement and support; I want the satisfaction of typing THE END *AND* the shiny hardcover with my name on the front. Might as well dream big, right?