Friday, August 19, 2011

TGIF


Today I showed my "Gutsy" attitude at Writers Li.P.P. and shared the afternoon's adventures at Between Birthdays. Now I'm in my jammies, getting ready to curl up with a glass of wine and a pile of books and read until I can't keep my eyes open.

These are the books stacked next to my bed, in various stages of completion.

A Garden in the Rain by Lynn Kurland
The Fire in Fiction by Donald Maass
The Mozart Season by Virginia Euwer Wolff
The Restless Heart by Ronald Rolheiser
Ladies of the Lake by Haywood Smith
Plot and Structure by James Scott Bell
Persuasion by Jane Austen
A String of Expression by June Roman

This doesn't, of course, include the half-finished books on my Kindle. I know it sounds like I have some  serious ADD, but I have read this way as long as I can remember. I love jumping back and forth between fiction and nonfiction, the old and the new, prose and pretty pictures. The downside is that it seems to take me a long time to finish a book. Except I usually finish several at about the same time.

I plan to spend a lot of time reading during this brief hiatus from fiction writing. I honestly can't think of a better way to fill my creative well, and I have no doubt that my work will be better as a result.

What are you reading this weekend?

8 comments:

Megan said...

I love that you read so many books at once! I usually read 2 or 3 -- one on iPod, one physical (book or Kindle). Right now I'm working my way through the George RR Martin series, which I read a few years ago, so I can finally start the newest novel he released a few weeks back. SO MUCH to read, which is a good thing. Good luck with your fabulous pile of delicious writings!

Pam Asberry said...

Megan, I'm not familiar with George RR Martin; I'll have to check him out. To make matters worse, I went to the public library today and brought home even MORE reading material. Yep, this place is a veritable book buffet - thank goodness books aren't fattening, LOL!

Julee J. Adams said...

I'm the same way--I have at least a dozen books going, fiction and non-fiction. My husband hates it, because he can only read one book at a time and often complains if he hasn't picked something up for a while, he needs to start over. Is he nuts?

I read Martin's FEVRE DREAMS and got my copy autographed at a World Science Fiction convention years ago. "Game of Thrones" (on Showtime, based on his series) is awesome and I'm glad for his success.

I think we've been stockpiling books since the Borders closed in our area. I agree, the library is awesome!

"Blessed than I you will never be, for I had a mother who read to me."

Pam Asberry said...

Julee, I cannot relate to people who read only one book at a time - or who don't read at all! And I loved your quote at the end. I miss those days cuddled up on the sofa with my boys, reading aloud to them, even after they were big enough to read for themselves...

Debbie Maxwell Allen said...

I love Plot and Structure. And the Mozart Season is in my TBR pile, as well. Right now I'm reading 'A Drowned Maiden's Hair' and loving it

~Debbie

Eydie said...

Pam,

I can totally related to having several books on my night stand ( and on the t=floor near my side of the bed) that I engage with all at the same time.

I love flipping back and forth from fiction to non0fiction. I would have it any other way.

Yes, take time today and fun playing the cloud. Let me know what you discover.
xoxo

Pam Asberry said...

I just read the synopsis of "A Drowned Maiden's Hair" on Amazon, Debbie. Sounds deliciously suspenseful! Thank you for sharing!

Pam Asberry said...

It's a relief to know I'm not the only one who gets restless when I'm reading, Eydie! I'm heading out to enjoy some "cloud painting" soon! :-)