Monday, August 1, 2011

Where did the summer go?


My friend Pat sent me a link to a wonderful article called Increase Your Intelligence: Five ways to maximize your cognitive potential. I encourage you to click HERE and read the whole thing; it's well worth the effort. But in case you don't, here's the condensed version:

1. Seek novelty.
2. Challenge yourself
3. Think creatively.
4. Do things the hard way.
5. Network.

That's my life in a nutshell.

* * * * *

This is the last week of my summer vacation - yep, school starts here in Gwinnett County, Georgia on Monday, August 8th - so I am scrambling to complete the absolute essential items on my summer to-do list, like organizing my piano studio/putting together all the back-to-school paperwork and giving my sorely neglected house a deep cleaning. The rest will have to wait until who knows when. I am also beading like crazy - I took a couple of classes recently, and become so obsessed experimenting with the techniques I learned that I missed a few days of writing altogether, so my word count is significantly under where I hoped it would be at this point in time. But I am giving myself credit for writing anytime I manage to eke out at least 500 words, and I have over 100 items for sale in my Etsy store to show for the beadapalooza. I hope I don't sound defensive when I say I am doing the very best I can.

As always, I am struggling to maintain balance. And I know it's going to be even harder next week when I resume full-time teaching. But I developed a checklist to help me keep track of tasks completed in all the areas that are important to me; I might miss an item or two one day, but I try to never let the same activity slide two days in a row. It's the best system I've been able to come up with; maybe it's as close to maintaining balance I'm going to get in this complicated life I lead. If you'd like to see my checklist, just ask and I will email you a copy; it would be easy to edit to include YOUR most important tasks.

What are your end-of-summer goals?

4 comments:

Gabrielle said...

I just asked the same question about summer. I go back to class in three weeks, and it seems like I just put in my grades for the spring semester a few weeks ago. It always goes by too quickly.

And I know just what you mean about having to accept that things will be much harder when it's back to the full time job. I've been very busy this summer and I don't want to stop, but the reality is that my teaching takes up a significant amount of time. Hopefully, I can find a balance too. :)

Julee J. Adams said...

I was thinking the same thing myself! And thank you for taking the time to come north for a visit.

I really believe this is my mid-year cleaning too. I got my computer files (music and pictures) all backed up on flash drives. Later, I'll do the fiction back up and the flashes go to a bank lock box. I fixed a couple of dinners and I'm getting the trash and recycles out. I have my list to the side of the desk.

Safe travels and see you soon! Cut yourself some slack. You're doing great!

Pam Asberry said...

It's a constant juggling act, Gabrielle. Good luck to you in your new school year!

Pam Asberry said...

Ugh, Julee, I desperately need to back my stuff up. Thanks for the reminder. Can't wait to see you!