Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Everyday Sounds


A bird chirping outside the window of my piano studio. Gunfire from a video game. The cheerful hum of the dishwasher. The booming of my children's voices - deep like men now - and the chatter of their visiting friends. Laughter. Much laughter. The dog barking every time the front door opens and closes.

The clicking of my laptop keyboard. The teakettle whistling. The microwave whirring. The twang of the mandolin. The tinkling of the piano keys. My phone alarm. The rattle of the air conditioner. The roar of the mail carrier's engine.

A crazy cacophony, dissonance and consonance, melodies and harmonies that soar and converge to create a symphony unlike any other. An improvisation that can never be repeated or improved upon. The soundtrack to a day in our lives.

* * *

This post was composed according to the guidelines for Just Write, an exercise in free writing your ordinary and extraordinary moments, "letting the thoughts and ideas flow as they wished." Thank you, Heather, for the inspiration!

8 comments:

Joanne said...

Isn't it wonderful how we all have our own personal symphonies, every day! I clicked over from Carol's blog today, enjoyed browsing ...

S.M. Carrière said...

Beautifully written, Pam.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks for stopping by, Joanne! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

Thank you so much, S.M. I was definitely out of my comfort zone. But I enjoyed the exercise very much.

togetherforgood said...

This is happy. My soundtrack is very different from yours . . . my kids are still young . . . but it is home for us.

Pam Asberry said...

I remember those days, Together. They went by too fast! Thank you for visiting my blog. I hope you will come back often.

Carol Kilgore said...

Great writing. My soundtrack has lots of barking. And whirring. And keyboard clacking.

Thanks so much for guesting at my blog.

Pam Asberry said...

Thank YOU, Carol. I am having a blast Under the Tiki Hut!