Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Fangirl, Circa 1972

Karma is guarding all my precious treasures.
As I mentioned in my blog post on Sunday, I have been sorting through boxes of photos and memorabilia dating back to when I was a wee, small lass. I cannot BELIEVE some of the stuff I have uncovered. My childhood postcard collection. My dad's patent application. Letters from a Japanese pen pal. School photos from first grade friends.

And writing. A poetry book my mother and I wrote. A collection of short stories written and illustrated by a high school friend. Articles I wrote that appeared in local newsletters and newspapers. And the following, written in longhand on notebook paper after I saw teenage heart throb David Cassidy in concert at the DuQuoin State Fair in 1972.

l-r: Debbie, Pam, Julee, Melinda
Thanks, Julee,  for permission to use the photo!

August 28, 1972


Saturday, August 26, 1972, I went to see David Cassidy in person and it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my whole lifetime.


I went with my girlfriend, Julee, who had bought my ticket, and her cousin Melinda and our friend Debbie. Julee's mother and father took us to the DuQuoin State Fair in DuQuoin, Illinois, where David was making a personal appearance that day.


The concert was scheduled to start at 2:00. It started at 2:00 with David's band and background singers. They performed for about 40 minutes, and then a 15 minute intermission was called for buying field glasses, drinks, etc.


At about 2:55 a taxi drove up and everyone knew who was in it. Everyone cheered, and for about 5 minutes the crowd was chanting, "We want David!" Then at precisely 3:00 the band came out again, seated themselves, and OUT CAME DAVID!


The crowd went wild as he jumped into his first number. He's so super groovy!


After he'd finished his first song, he said he'd just flown in from Honolulu. (Unimportant, but he said it!) A couple of kids held up a poster. He said he liked it. I wished I would have made one.


He went on to sing many more songs. He sang my favorite one (Cherish) and I cried during it and Ricky's Tune.


A couple of girls tried to get to him but the security guards pulled them away. It's a shame when a group is so wild a performer has to be protected to save his life.


The concert was over all too soon. After a brief thank you he ran off the stage, hopped into a car, and was gone. "Oh, David, come back," I thought. But he didn't. So sadly I left, saying over and over, "David, come back," til my friends thought I was nuts.


Someday I hope to see him again. But until then I want to thank him for making one of the happiest days of my life.

Once a writer, always a writer. There's lots more where this came from!

16 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Oh, sweetie! I do remember you whimpering! The father of some other fans who was sitting next to me asked if you were okay, though his daughter was screeching and crying.

I did take some pictures of the concert with Dad's little Brownie camera, the kind with the viewfinder on top. David was wearing a silver jumpsuit and while he looked closer, it looked like we were miles away on the pictures. I'll go through and post them someday, I promise.

You know, if it had been Donny Osmond, the roles would have been reversed..... Thanks for sharing your memory!

Pam Asberry said...

I had pictures of David too, Julee, wearing the silver jumpsuit but looking very far away, but they were destroyed when our crawl space flooded in our Raleigh home in the late 80's. So if you ever run across those photos I would love to see them. Yes, I remember how crazy you were about Donny Osmond - ah, teenage crushes! :-)

S.M. Carrière said...

Awww... that's just awesome! I wonder where my early attempts are...

Corrie said...

David Cassidy was always my second-favorite. I always loved Donny Osmond and had mega-posters all over my wall--courtesy of Tiger Beat magazine. I never got to see him in concert when I was young but got to see him in Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Then several years later I had the opportunity to see him in concert in Springfield. Watching him both times reminded me of my youth and those young dreams that he would pick me out of a crowd and I would be the next Mrs. Osmond! LOL

Debra Becht said...

Oh my ladies. What a "wild" time it was. Swooning over such a heart throb. About 8 or 9 years ago, Donny was here with Jim Brickman. I made it a mom and daughter date. My now 24 year old daughter fought me for the binoculars all night to see Donnie. It was an incredible and remarkable night. The man still did it for 2 generations. We still laugh about it. These are the moments to treasure. And Ms Pam...... You still got it too girl more than ever!

Anonymous said...

I still love Donny Osmond. I always loved David Cassidy, I think I had more of a crush on David." I think I love you" was one of my favorite Partridge family songs. I also wanted to look like Marsha Brady. lol

Denise said...

Ah yes, those crazy 70's heart throbs, lol.
I never saw David but I did see Donny and it was a 10 yr old's dream come true.
Thanks for sharing this and for writing it all down. This brought back my own whimpering memories. :)

Pam Asberry said...

If you find them, S.M., I hope you will share! :-)

Pam Asberry said...

I was always the odd man out when it came to David Cassidy, Corrie. I remember all those Donny Osmond posters in your bedroom! I used to dream of being Mrs. David Cassidy, too-HA! Glad you got to see your teen idol perform as an adult; he really is an amazing performer. Thank you for sharing your memories with me!

Pam Asberry said...

I love Jim Brickman, Deb; that must have been an amazing evening. No wonder your daughter fought you for the binoculars! And thank you for your kind words. The truth is I still feel like I'm 13 on the inside. I would love to have just one of those days back, wouldn't you?

Pam Asberry said...

I loved that song too, Anonymous. And we ALL wanted to look like Marcia Brady, LOL!

Pam Asberry said...

It was a pleasure to revisit these memories, Denise. I am so thankful I recorded those impressions. It makes me wish I had encouraged my children to write more. On the other hand, no one asked me to write about this. I guess I had the same compulsion to put words on paper that I do now. :-)

Denise said...

OM Goodness...you were so cute! What a treasure trove you have. Can't wait to read the book.

WritersLiPP said...

Wow, I sure didn't think so at the time, Denise. If I could go back, I would be so much kinder to myself! But I do have a treasure trove. I hope I can turn it into a meaningful writing project.

R.R. said...

When I was 11 or 12 my dad had a friend that worked at the Atlanta Municipal Auditorium (now a part of GSU). His friend got me a fifth row seat to see The Beach Boys when they came. My dad walked me to the seat and left! He said he had to go help his friend push girls off the stage. He must have been joking since I didn't see him up there doing it. I was surrounded by screaming girls jumping up and down, some staggering as if fainting, and some waving hand made posters. I didn't know what it all meant but I said to myself, "That(playing in a band)is what I want to do!!! That came true in about five years, but I have yet to get that sort of response! Maybe I need to learn some surfing songs?!?!

WritersLiPP said...

Great story, R.R.! Chicks dig musicians, there's no doubt about it. I have fallen for more than my share of guitar players over the years. ;-)