Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Georgia Romance Writers: Jade Lee

Jade Lee & Pam Asberry
The featured speaker at Saturday's Georgia Romance Writers meeting was Jade Lee; she gave a wonderful lecture entitled The Core of Romance. Afterwards, I bought two of her books, Wicked Surrender and Wicked Seduction. I haven't read a lot of period romance but I am looking forward to getting lost in these. 

Haywood Smith & Pam Asberry
And - finally! - I got my picture taken with one of my favorite authors of all time, Haywood Smith. She is a member of GRW and and came to the meeting this month to sign her latest release, Wife-In-Law. I was delighted to pay full retail price for this book in order to get an autographed copy, and Haywood wrote the sweetest inscription inside mine. I will treasure it always.

GRW meetings have become the highlight of each month for me. Not only do I get to rub shoulders with famous authors - and the ones I have met have been completely down-to-earth, humble, kind and generous - but I get to hang out with all my local writer friends, who are in various stages of the publication process, and equally down-to-earth, humble, kind and generous. Case in point: fellow Petit Fours and Hot Tamales blogger Susan Carlisle, who recently sold her first fiction title to a major publisher, took time out of her busy schedule to photocopy and make notes on several rejection letters she received on the road to publication to encourage me to keep writing despite my recent disappointing contest results. Knowing the kind of writer she is and seeing her judges' comments helped tremendously. Thank you, Susan. If karma has anything to do with it, you will be on the New York Times Bestseller list in no time.

I intend to get back into a daily practice of writing after the M&M Conference the first weekend in October. In the meantime, I am reading, reading, reading - fiction in different genres as well as books on the craft of writing - and sorting through old photos and memorabilia, contemplating a couple of nonfiction projects. I'll keep you posted. I am also blogging in several places this week; Monday and Tuesday you can find me at Writers Li.P.P. and Wednesday and Thursday I will be Under the Tiki Hut. I hope you will stop by and say hello!

2 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

I really wish I had a closer group, but I'm so grateful your chapter is so active and awesome! Thanks for sharing--I feel the same way about autographed books. Keep going and I think taking a few weeks off to read and research is a great idea. I'm just now getting back into it and the ideas are coming so fast I can't get them down. Thanks for sharing.

Pam Asberry said...

I am glad to know you are writing again, too; it's a great feeling when the ideas are flowing! I hope you will be able to make a trip to Atlanta one of these days, Julee; I would love to take you to a GRW meeting!