Thursday, September 1, 2011

Mish-Mash

The boys and I are wrapping up Week 4 of the new school year and looking forward to the holiday weekend ahead. I wish I had some fabulous travel or party plans to share with you but I don't; for the most part, I will be hanging around at home, cleaning and laundering and tackling some of the de-cluttering I never managed to get around to over the summer.

In my sick, twisted way, I am actually excited about it. Nathan will be camping with his dad, but Casey will be around. Maybe he can help me with some of the housework; just this afternoon he demonstrated his flair for home decorating.

Lamp #1
Lamp #2
For another example of his artistic prowess, visit Friday Show & Tell at Writers LiPP. Yep, those boys of mine are full of surprises.

I am also hoping to spend some time catching up on some of the wonderful blogs I follow. Since school started, I have gotten woefully behind; I miss my online friends. In the meantime, I want to share a few of this week's favorites with you.

On Tuesday, blog goddess Laurie Perry wrote a hilarious post about her recent experiences with online dating. Been there, done that; simply don't have the heart for it right now. But Laurie's article gave me hope for the future. And a belly laugh or two.

And here's a present for us all, from the gifted and generous Blisschick. I am going to blow it up and print it out and hang it in a prominent place in my home.


Thanks, Eydie, for sharing this on your blog tonight. If you've never visited Eydie's blog before, I suggest that you start HERE, with her post about clouds. I might just have to head outside with my camera tomorrow and see what I can come up with. Also, her pictures brought back happy memories of an episode of The New Adventures Of Winnie the Pooh that I watched with my kids when they were small. If you don't have time for the whole thing, start at 8:12.


Finally, today Nathan Bransford posted a great article on his blog, On the Internet There Is No Such Thing as a Brand, There Is Only You. As a writer hoping to build a following who will be eager to snap up my first novel when it is finally published, I have read plenty of articles emphasizing the importance of building a personal brand, but something about them doesn't quite ring true with me. But Nathan's article really resonated. His conclusion?

My advice for people who are trying to carve out their own space in social media is not to think about what your blog or your twitter presence should be, but rather to embrace who you really are. Be yourself. Let your own voice shine through. Lots of people have ideas about what you should be, but you can only be who you are. The only brand you've got is you.


Isn't that what Popeye has been saying all along? Here's wishing you a safe and happy Labor Day weekend!


4 comments:

Julee J. Adams said...

Love. It. I am what I am, indeed. Have a super Labor Day weekend!

Pam Asberry said...

You too, Julee!

Eydie said...

Pam,

Winnie, Piglet and Pooh brought such a huge smile to my face. THose were the simple days or were they?

Loved your advice about shining your light on your blog. Everything is perfect ... as long as we are ... who we truly are.

You brightened my day.

Pam Asberry said...

I do sometimes miss those days, Eydie, curled up on the sofa with my boys, reading a good book or watching a video for the millionth time. Thank you so much for stopping by, and for all you do to inspire others to be who they truly are.