Thursday, September 29, 2011

Not So Different

I am writing from the Holiday Inn Decatur Conference Center, where I will be staying through Sunday attending the 2011 Georgia Romance Writers Moonlight and Magnolias Conference. I jump-started the weekend this afternoon at The Chocolate Bar in Decatur, where I attended a "chocolate-filled chat" with best-selling authors Karen White and Eloisa James.

Karen White and Eloisa James
The event started with casual conversation, delicious food - bottomless mimosas, cheese and crackers, fresh fruit, and a chocolate fountain - and then the two women shared a little bit about their work: past, present and future. Karen White lives just across town from me and is a past president of Georgia Romance Writers. One of my favorite authors, it turns out she has known Shakespearean professor Eloisa James for many years. I was fascinated to hear the story of their friendship and their writing journeys. 

What struck me most was their revelation that, even after publishing 15 and 18 books, respectively, they still feel insecure about their ability as storytellers. Writers pour their hearts into their books; as I know all too well, this makes us very vulnerable to the opinions of others. But I was surprised to learn that even Karen White and Eloisa James don't necessarily believe that their work is good until someone else confirms that. Even after all this time. Even after all their successes. Maybe there is hope for me, after all. 

I was also very excited to hear about their upcoming releases. I hope you will click on their names above to find out what's new.

Finally, I treated myself to two new books, got them autographed, and had my picture taken with each of these amazing woman.

Karen White and Pam Asberry
Eloisa James and Pam Asberry
What a great way to kick off this year's M&M conference. I am looking forward to more wonderful adventures tomorrow. See you then!

7 comments:

ElaineCharton said...

Wish I could be there. Husband is doing a workshop there with a friend. Title is "Public Speaking for Shy Writers"
We could only afford for one of us to go.

S.M. Carrière said...

Now that seems like a fabulous day! A chocolate fountain?! Awesome!

S.M. Carrière said...

Of course, I would fixate on the chocolate...

Pam Asberry said...

LOL, S.M.! :-)

Denise said...

Good for you! Have a great time. :)

Pam Asberry said...

Denise, it was WONDERFUL. I am going to do my best to get a conference post up later today!

Pam Asberry said...

Hi Elaine! Thank you so much for visiting my blog. I introduced myself to your husband and hope to meet you next year!