Tuesday, October 18, 2011

My new part-time job

I love the internet.

I have multiple pages on Facebook and multiple accounts on Twitter. I sell jewelry on Etsy, teach piano lessons on Skype, and have a profile on LinkedIn. I post pictures on Flickr and videos of my students on YouTube. I listen to music on Spotify; I create boards on Pinterest; I write book reviews at Goodreads. I have a MySpace page although I haven't logged in for months. I even have a Google Plus page although I can't imagine it replacing Facebook in my affections.

And I blog. Do I ever. I write two personal blogs - several times a week right here and daily at Between Birthdays. I blog twice weekly at Writers Li.P.P. with Lindy Chaffin Start. I blog once a month for the Petit Fours and Hot Tamales. And I guest blog here, there, and everywhere.

Social networking is so much fun. I love making friends online almost as much as in person. Blogging is great, too. Writing nonfiction comes easily to me. If it didn't, I would be able to blog as prolifically as I do.

But you know what I want to accomplish more than anything else right now? I want to write an amazing work of fiction and see it published. The old-fashioned way. I want to go on a book tour and do book signings and talk to readers about my work and to writers about craft. But at the rate I'm going, that's not going to happen until I'm about 75. And I don't want to wait that long.

So you know what I'm going to do about it? I'm going to treat my writing like a real job, albeit a part-time job; I'm looking at 20 hours a week. My schedule will vary from day to day, depending on my piano teaching schedule, but I'm planning on working six days a week: 2 hours on Monday, 2 hours on Tuesday, 4 hours each Wednesday through Saturday. And when I am at work, I will be fully dressed and sitting at my desk, saying no to the web candy, doing whatever needs to be done: research, sending query letters, meeting a specific weekly word count goal.

I'm still hashing out the details. But intend to have this routine in place in time for NaNoWriMo.

Yes, I have a life. And NaNoWriMo is a part of it. More about that later this week.

Now, if you enjoy writing propped up on a pillow in bed with TweetDeck open, I'm not judging you. I'm just saying that isn't working so well for me these days.

I read a great blog post by Carol Kilgore from Under the Tiki Hut earlier this evening (click HERE). This was her advice:

(1) Write first. Blog, Facebook, Twitter second.
(2) Be yourself.

Simple. Straightforward. I like it.

This means, of course, that I won't be here every day. I probably should set up a blog calendar; if I weren't already overcommitted and over-scheduled, I would do just that. But I think I need a little more flexibility than that right now.

So this is what I promise.

I will post at Between Birthdays every day. If I am blogging on Writers Li.P.P., Petit Fours and Hot Tamales, or elsewhere in cyberspace, I will post a link. And when I have something more to say, I will show up and say it.

I have a lot to talk about. So check in often, okay?

And wish me luck at my new job.

16 comments:

Carol Burnside aka Annie Rayburn said...

Sounds like a plan...sort of. ;)

Hey, you won a copy of Phantoms & Fantasies from Day 1 of my blog tour. I'll e-mail you.

Buffy said...

Good for you, Pam. And NaNoWriMo is the perfect time to start!

S.M. Carrière said...

That is the perfect way to approach it! That's how I do it. Now, off to find you on goodreads!

Pam Asberry said...

I'll show YOU, Carol. ;-)

Thanks for the book! I am looking forward to getting to know your Crainesians!

Pam Asberry said...

That's what I'm thinking, Buffy. Thanks for your encouragement! I guess you're doing NaNoWriMo, too?

Pam Asberry said...

Yay, S.M.! I don't read as much as I would like to, so I'm not on Goodreads as often as I would like to be. But it will be fun to see you there!

Denise said...

Thanks for the inspiration. I was just lamenting too much to do and too little time. The key is always first things first. OK. Here goes. Wrap the crap this week. Put together a priority list this weekend and start it on Monday.

Pam Asberry said...

That sounds perfect, Denise. Except I'm kind of experimenting with the scheduling this week, hoping to figure out what's realistic before I set it in stone. Because if I drive myself into the ground I will crash and burn, like I've done so many times before. But I really think this is gonna work. I'm going for it!

Julee J. Adams said...

You are absolutely right about the bright, shiny Objects of Distraction on the Interwebs. There is a software that if you try to navigate out from your workpage, it will re-direct you back. We don't need this, do we?
Pam, you can do anything you set your mind to and I think by committing to this as a part-time job, you may have hit on what you need to do. Best of luck and if you have to let some of the blogging go, sorry. I haven't checked my RSS or google feed for weeks, just to keep my sanity. Love ya!

Tami Brothers said...

You'll do great, girl. I have faith in ya.

Pam Asberry said...

I think I might go back to writing on my Neo, Julee, to keep the internet distractions at bay. Regardless, I am really psyched about this. And I started reading a new book while I was at the gym that totally confirms my decision. Coincidence? I think not.

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Tami. I needed that!

Carol Kilgore said...

Wishing you boatloads of good luck!

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, Carol! :-)

Buffy said...

I'm not actually doing NaNoWriMo, but I love the idea and there are usually a few students at my daughter's school who do it.

Pam Asberry said...

You should give it a try one of these years, Buffy. It is exhausting but exhilarating!