Monday, November 7, 2011

2011 Georgia Music Teachers Association State Conference

I made a new friend in Columbus.
I was really hoping to get a blog post up before midnight but that just didn't happen. I did, however, blog on Between Birthdays about all the new things I tried at the Georgia Music Teachers Association State Conference in Columbus, Georgia over the weekend (click HERE) and I put a post in the queue for Writers Li.P.P. that just went live (click HERE). And I went to the gym and spent 30 minutes on the elliptical machine, then came home and added 1,628 words to my NaNoWriMo project, bringing my total so far up to 5,004 words. Now I am beyond tired and my eyes feel like sandpaper but I am determined to write something here anyway because the words are tugging at me and begging to be shared.

The conference was wonderful. I was inspired in so many ways. By our keynote speaker, Dennis Alexander, who truly understands what children are capable of, musically speaking, and offered us tools to help bring it out of them.

Dennis Alexander & Pam Asberry
By all the wonderful students who performed. By MTNA President Ben Caton, who reminded us that teaching is a high calling, and that there are many rewards that money cannot buy. And by all my dedicated colleagues who care so much about our profession that they carved time out of busy teaching schedules to attend a state music teachers conference.

I was blessed with the opportunity to give something back at this event; my workshop proposal, Teaching the Transfer Student, was accepted by the powers that be, and I presented it at 1:00 on Thursday. A bit star-struck when Dennis Alexander himself introduced himself just before I was scheduled to begin, I forgot all about him and everyone else as I began speaking about this topic that is near and dear to my heart and thoroughly enjoyed sharing my experience, and hope that I provided others with a tidbit or two that they will be able to use in their own piano studios.

Pam Asberry, Teaching the Transfer Student
Another magical moment happened at the Friday night banquet when my own local chapter, Gwinnett County Music Teachers Association, received the Local Association of the Year Award.

GCMTA
Indeed, this experience brought me back to my roots. I have always felt that teaching music was my destiny, and even though I never intended this profession to support a family, I am convinced now more than ever that I should not abandon it just because I am experiencing financial difficulties at the moment, or because those who are less qualified or competent seem to be achieving greater success. I must continue to look for ways to balance my passions and my hobbies and combine them so that they won't make me crazy in terms of the effort they require or the revenues they generate. Somehow, the teaching and the performing and the writing and the jewelry making will work together and make me a living.

And a life.

2 comments:

S.M. Carrière said...

Yes it will; you will! *waves pompoms*

Pam Asberry said...

Thanks, S.M. As you know, having good cheerleaders makes all the difference! :-)